1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First blemish on stainless skin....

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by UglyTruck, Feb 25, 2007.

1. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Okay, so I was pi$$ed when it happened, I was being the nice neighbor, pushing the slush and crap away from the curb for the guy across the street.
    The city has plowed his sidewalk in without fail on every storm this year.

So Im pushin at Idle speed, hanging out the window scraping the crub and I hear/feel..........CA-THUD!!! and I am thrown into the A-pillar.???..thats right, thrown....at idle speed..."SON-OF-A-BISCUT !!!!"
    So I lift the blade, set it back down and start again....then I feel and hear metal on metal..I think....
    Nah, just the blade on asphalt....then the rear of the truck drops out from under me?!?!?! STAB THE GAS..STAB THE BRAKE.truck is sitting stable so I get out...look around....???WTF???

And what to my wondering eyes shoud apear???

but the gaping 2 foot hole in the middle of the street where the manhole cover should be!!!

AW $H1T !!! where is the cover??? Its in front of the truck right?!..okay, good...So I drag it back and "Reinstalls it" (drop it back in place and drive over it to seat it) and go on about my business...

(the reaction from my stoner neighbor?..."WOHA..DUDE"...

later I am at another contract and I am shoveling and i see a "Mud streak" on the front of my blade....wait a freakin minute....that damn manhole scuffed my stainless!!!

Muther-grumble-flippin-dang-@#$&%........ stupid high carbon steel..!!!!

So I pout about it for a while and then I really get to thinkin about it...

2-1/2 years
    Avg 29 contracts per event(one is 16 res driveways...condos)
    17 plowable events (3 involving heavy Icing)
    1 rammy operator (me :D )

Plus...say 3-5 extras per event (my house, a couple of buddies...the 98 year old guy w/shovel and the 4 acre driveway that you feel sorry for....you know the one I mean.)

Thats 816 contracts cleaned....and thats the exent of the damage to my moldboards???

I'm Kinda impressed.

with my old plow....8-1/2 foot conventional mount western with wings, I had to disassemble the entire thing every 5 events and reweld the center pivot area on the A-frame due to wear. Also Had to repaint it anually.

but still....
    Damnit man...
    I scuffed my stainless.....
    :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

Plow 010.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Sandpaper?

Oxidation is a miracle and allows stainless to heal it self somewhat.

:)

3. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I'm not worried about the scuff, I think that the discoloration will buff out what tics me off is the dent... oh well....

How come....

i don't care when I dent my $28K truck, but it bothers me to dent my $6k plow????

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

opppss

Sorry hard to tell that it is dented in the pic. That sucks.

Just remember that you do not want to buff or polish, but to scratch it like it was originally. That allows for the oxidation to take over.

Good luck.

5. battle scars...they add character. ;)

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

chicks dig em too!! :)