1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First big snow of the season ended with first major breakdown of the season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Theplower, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theplower

Theplower Junior Member

So there I was, finally plowing with my Ram 2500 after not having much snow last year. Somehow, about halfway through my first lot, I ended up surronded by a foot of snow, no big deal I figured, but after about 10 minutes, I realized I couldn't get out. A guy plowing a nieghboring business came over to help try to push me out. He pushed his blade against the back of my truck as I pressed the accelerator, still nothing, this went on for about 10 more minutes until smoke started pouring out from the front of the truck. I got out to see what the issue was and.... My truck was on fire, flames were pouring out from under the truck! I threw snow on it while he called 911. Luckily, no one was injured and there was no major damage as far as I can tell. My mechanic is going to take a look tomorrow to figure out what happened, but we believe it was a gas line or something that leaked onto the exhaust.

Anyone else have an interesting start to the season, or have a truck catch fire before?:dizzy:

2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

i had my plow on last night here in northern rhode island and i was going to get gas and there was a few cars spun out trying to get up a large long hill and i was coming down the hill and some guy tried to pass the cars on my left and i was coming down and i slammed the breaks and no stop then i had to put the plow down to slow down almost shat my pants

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Sounds like you overheated the transmission, which puked its fluid out the dipstick. Which then caught fire on the exhaust.

4. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

No major damage...so did you keep plowing with it? That'd be super cool if you did

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I had my old 89 catch on fire after I had to swerve off road to miss a car. dude yells the trucks on fire! I stop and the whole passenger side of engine is on fire. Sure enough the dip stick for tranny pucked fluid. A 5 pound ABC extinguisher will put out a lot of fire! I carry a 5 pound all the time. It will save my vehicle or someone's life some day. Aim at the base of fire and sweep back and forth. You will be amazed at how much fire you can extinguish! Bang it on the ground before you use it. This loosens the compacted powder. Works great then.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Or tip it over quick.

7. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Uh oh, the firemen are talking about extinguishers...

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I'm surprised they haven't told him he should never try to fight a fire to leave it for the professionals! Mean while the truck is melted to nothing.

9. Theplower

Theplower Junior Member

Upon closer examination I noticed a redish colored fluid in the snow under the truck, I'm no mechanic, but I'm guessing it's transmission fluid?

I never carried a fire extinguisher before, but now I will have one in all my trucks.

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Enjoy rebuilding your transmission.

11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Agreed. If he overheated it enough to puke fluid, it got damaged. It's gonna be on the way out soon.

Oh and yes, red fluid is transmission fluid.

12. Theplower

Theplower Junior Member

Really hope it didn't overheat, I'm pretty easy on my trucks and find it hard to believe that it would over heat from being pulled out when it was working fine a half hour earlier plowing six inches of snow....
    I'm hoping a transmission line just broke, not that the transmission "puked" out fluid.

2-4 more inches coming tomorrow, my mechanic is looking at it as I type, hopefully I have it running. :cry:

13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Were you rocking the truck back and forth between Drive and Reverse trying to get out before you had help? That will usually overheat a trans pretty quick.

14. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

What part of "10 minutes spinning my tires, and another 10 minutes spinning my tires with another plow pushing behind" doesn't set off the "breaking stuff" alarm in your head? That's the definitive opposite of "easy on my trucks". I'm pretty sure that's how I messed up my front differential.

As I was reading the story I wondered if maybe you weren't spinning your tires at all and you got stuck because the breakage happened. Did the tires dig holes in the snow?

This guy has a similar Dodge fire story in a similar current thread:

15. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

You likely DESTROYED the trans, I hope you have a few grand laying around to replace it.

16. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Any fireman that says that is an idiot.

Just like the cops that tell you not to resist.

Do what you can-SAFELY-with what you have. I am a fireman and would never tell someone to not attempt to save their property if they can do it safely.

Sometimes.......................It can be a nasty brown as well..........in which case you have issues.

I was wondering the same thing. If you can't get out of "stuck" with a push or pull inside of 30 seconds at the most while spinning, it's time to rethink strategies.

17. Theplower

Theplower Junior Member

The wheels were spinning. As far as rocking, I was, some what, I went forward, Couldn't go, stopped, backed up, couldn't go, repeat, Did that about 3 times, shoveled a bit, then continued.

My mechanic confirmed that it was the transmission line, but his phone was dying so I couldn't talk long enough to ask questions until later tonight. If it's just the transmission line, not the transmission itself, does that mean that still mean I did major damage to the transmission, or is there a chance I avoided over heating it and causing major damage?

18. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

boom......

19. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I'm a big fan of transmission temp gauges in my F350 trucks..

20. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

All of my trucks have trans temp gauges added except my 95.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.