1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

first big snow account/need help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by norrislandscape, Oct 28, 2011.

1. norrislandscape

norrislandscape Junior Member
    from nc

what do i need(equipment wise) to do this job without breaking the bank to bad?I am from nc and acquired a large distribution center acct. this year doing turn-key grounds maint.. the facilty will need to be treated first class due to the amount of tractor trailers coming and going every day. There are approx. 450,000 sq ft of parking areas. i have a per push contract setup already! I was thinking on getting a snow pusher for my track bobcat and getting a 8.5ft plow for my 2005f-250 4x4. do you think i need an additional plow or will this handle the job? anyfeedback would be greatly appreciated?
  2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Yeah you might want to add a ford ranger or maybe a jeep, then you'll be all set. No problem...........
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Take bids from someone who knows what there doing,then add a few points for you.
  4. bsharp704

bsharp704 Member
    from Grant

I guess you should have figured that out before you bid it. If the price is right we would look at coming to NC to push snow.
  5. norrislandscape

from nc

i'll pass on using you sharp after that reply. i didn't ask for negative advice, just help from seasoned veterans on what they like to use and reccomend.
  6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

how much time do you have budgeted to complete the push? take that into consideration as to how many pieces of equipment you need, along with the amount of money that you have budgeted for equipment and that should help you with what you are going to spend new vs used, etc.
  7. norrislandscape

from nc

thanks longae. any preferance on plows?
  8. bsharp704

bsharp704 Member
    from Grant

I am not trying to be an A$$ or anything, sorry if you took it that way. I am an estimator in the construction industry during the day, haven been for 11 years now. I just dont understand how as an estimator you can bid a job with the hope of getting it and have no plan on how to do it. If you bid a job you bid it with the hope of signing the contract, I just dont understand how you can do that with no plan on how to complete the contract. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, I just dont understand your thought process.

I guess if I was you I would have asked this question before bidding the job. I see you have mulitple post on here asking for help, again just confused on your tactics.
  9. Foz

Foz Senior Member

That is a sizable property to try without having equipment yet?!?!?!

450,000 SF of pavement is likely 8 hours of plowing....2 pieces for 4 hours......You need a good sized truck plow....thinking 8.5 or 9.5 Ft Vee plos a skid steer or backhoe with a push box.

I hope you have some experience or some experienced help.

Are you required to perform ice control/salting???
  10. norrislandscape

from nc

Foz, my intent was to sub if i didn't have the income to purchase the new equipment. They wanted a turn-key grounds maintenance company to price this work. We did the initial 100,000 install so i already had my foot in the door so to speak. i wasn't about to admit i couldn't handle the snow. My worries are that if i sub this, especially in nc where there are very few snow contractors that my client will be let down and i cannot afford to lose a 75,000 maint contract.

I have trucks and bobcats. and your thoughts are the same as mine. one plow and a pusher for my trackloader. However, what if my truck goes down and i'm stuck with just a bobcat?
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well if you get that much snow there NC shuts down so you should have time to plow it out.
  12. chaosad216

chaosad216 Junior Member

That says it right there. invest in some extra equipment and sub out your smaller customers. you can always get a sub to plow in tandem with yourself. You will know what is going on at all times.
  13. norrislandscape

from nc

i think you are right! I'm going to go that route. Thanks for the help!
  14. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

How did you come up with the price for the snow?
  15. Blades Away

Blades Away Junior Member

I service some very large customers as well. Try driving the area to get a feel for how long it will take you to drive the area. Bob cats are great for shipping docks. You also need to figure out how many obstacles you have to go around. Snow placement is going to be important to that type of facility as well. Got to have someway to move snow large distances if you have no suitable place to push it. An aerial would be great to see what your dealing with.
  16. mike ward

mike ward Member

The western wide out wout be a good choice and if you have the HP on the skid steer a 10' Artic would do a nice job. You need about $13,000 to buy those two pieces.
  17. gbtl

gbtl Member

I'd have at least two trucks.

R.J.S. SNOWPLOW Senior Member

You have 450000sq feet a 7.6 plow can do 43560 sq ft per hour with no obstacles in the parking lot you have 10.3 acres
    1 truck 10.50 hours 2 trucks 5.25 hours 3 trucks 3.44 hours 4 trucks 2.58 hours
    The question you should ask yourself how long you want to be there also how long did your client give you to clear each snow fall
    By the way you will need about 6729 pounds of salt per salting good luck
  19. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I would invest in a Kage or Snow Wolf Fast Tach for the skid steer. That way you can use it for more than just pushing long distances and aren't totally screwed if your truck breaks down. Maybe even look into getting a back up truck.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  20. ksnow

ksnow Member

norris call me if you still need some help iam in north carolina and can help you fig out your site 336 589 4219 thanks k