1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First big push with my Jeep, 8" around Madison

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by DeggyD, Dec 22, 2013.

1. DeggyD

DeggyD Junior Member

We got 7-8" of pretty heavy snow today around Madison WI. I got my first Jeep, 05 Wrangler, back in May this year, then new Snoway 22 in July. I've used it a few times before this on a couple inches of fluffy stuff, but this is the first true test. Worked out pretty well overall. I only use it for my business's parking lot. Its a nice rectangle with a slope at the end where I have plenty of room to push the snow. It drops off pretty quick though. My Jeep gets back up the hill better than my last 93 2500 HD, but that thing had pretty bad tires.

Funny story, after taking the pics, my phone must have fell out of my pocket while I was only half done with the lot. I didn't hear it fall because in landed in snow. Apparently I plowed it into the pile at the end. After finishing, I started looking everywhere and couldn't find it. I called the phone, but it was on silent. I decided I lost it in the snow, so my wife started driving into town to get me a new phone right away. I tried calling and listening for it one last time and heard it vibrating somewhere in the pile at the end. A friend and I started digging and 20 minutes later I finally got it. The Otter Box saved it. Nothing wrong except a
    scratched screen protector.

Jeep Plow Angled Left.jpg

Mid Push.jpg

Over the top.jpg

Yes Its steep.jpg

OK I'm stuck now.jpg
  2. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

oh noes did you get stuck in that last photo?
  3. DeggyD

DeggyD Junior Member

Sure did. I was pushing my limits on purpose but got too cocky. The last 5 passes I thought I was stuck, but got out pretty easy. This one, no luck. Got the shovel and started to dig out the wheels but before I could finish the neighbor came around and gave me a tug. (The Green dodge in the background.) Great neighbor to have. He doesn't mind my snow in his backyard. Gives his grand kids something to play on.
  4. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Looks good. Plenty of power to push?
  5. DeggyD

DeggyD Junior Member

Yes, no problems. 4.0 straight 6 cyl. Small enough to do my driveway, big enough to do my parking lot. If we ever get more that this, I'd plan on plowing it twice though. I could feel it pushing my front end over a couple times.
  6. xgiovannix12

yup best to know your limits.Best to plow with the storm if your getting a lot.
  7. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Cool setup.
  8. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

NICE jeep. I have the exact same one as my DD but an 06, same color and everything. Do you have the 6 speed or auto?

I thought about putting a plow on mine as a backup, but I couldnt bring myself to do it, its my baby :)

Also, do you know what you have in it for gearing? I have the stupid 3.07 but I plan on going to 4.10s once I get bigger than my 31 inch tires.

One more thing, I would try a set of better tires for it, I had those before and they seemed okay Until I got better ones and realized they werent great at all in the snow.
  9. DeggyD

DeggyD Junior Member

Thanks and Thanks!

Its an Auto. I know...blasphemy is some Jeep circles, but my wife drives it a lot in summer too.

I'm pretty new to jeeps, so I haven't learned much about them yet. Got a subscription to JP magazine yesterday though :). So I don't know what the gears are. I like customizing vehicles, so I keep day-dreaming of a mild lift and bigger tires. I hear that messes with the plow angle and needs a custom mount. The plow mount already hangs down way too low as is. I'll probably take it off during the summer in case I need some better front end clearance.

What do you recommend for tires? So far so good, but I'm not using it for professional plowing or snow-trailing...YET!
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  10. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

What tire I would recommend really depends on what you use it for, the tire you have on it now is actually a great tire for on-road and light off road, just not the best for snow, which may be part of the reason you got some pushing in the front end, but for the amount of plowing you do, and if you dont push it, those will be just fine. If it gets annoying, check out a set of blizzaks or firestone winterforce for plowing, but again, I think those will be fine for the amount of plowing you do.

As for summer, I have general grabber a/t2s right now and I like them a lot, but am going to go with either the Goodyear Duratracs or dick cepek Fun country 3's (or whatever the newest funcountry that just came out). I dont usually get mud terrains, I stick with an aggressive all terrain for the jeep.

Also check out Quadratec and sign up for their seasonal free magazines they send out, and if you run into any problems Jeep forum .com is a great place to go.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  11. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

That's pretty impressive!
  12. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Not really a jeep fan but had to check it out. I plow in a wrangler that I think is two years old with a blizzard. I do some tiny lots so it works great for that but man can that thing push!!!!! Surprised by it every time.
  13. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Just bought 4 Firestone Winterforce tires for my 1994 K2500. I went with a 215/85/16 LT because I wanted a tall skinny tire. These tires are amazing! I have about 750 lbs. of bagged salt in the bed and plowed my whole route in two wheel drive. If you can afford dedicated winter tires these are the hot ticket.
  14. xgiovannix12

yep they are great tires Ive used them till they were bald like slicks.
  15. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

Sorry to hijack, but can you post a few pics of the truck with the tires? I've got an '88 K2500. It's got shot 265/75R16 on there now and I was going to swap to Winterforce 245s. I'm curious what the 215 looks like.

EDIT: I just did some calculating, looks like the 215/85 and the 245/75 are almost exactly the same height. Less than .10 in, if I did my math correctly. I'd like to see what yours look like from the front/rear. I hadn't even considered a 215, but now I'm interested.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  16. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I'll try to get some pic's for you tomorrow.
  17. DeggyD

DeggyD Junior Member

Are all of you professional plowers bald? You must be pulling your hair out almost daily. I watch the weather because I love to plow with my Jeep. Forecast 3 days ago say 4-7" for my area over new years. Yesterday morning they still said 3-5. Now its all said and done, and I think we got an inch...maybe. I'm pulling my hair out, and I don't even plow for a living, I just do it for my personal lot. Can't imagine trying to plan your work life around such grossly wrong forecasts. Just saying.
  18. xgiovannix12

Lol I think we loose our hair with the crazy drivers out there too.
  19. Currinson

Currinson Junior Member

I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler with a curtis plow on it. Last year I put air shocks in the front to get the plow frame and ack further off the ground, best ting I ever did. The wrangler is a tank, I got stuck with my F350 Diesel Dump with a 9 foot plow doing a lot, the Jeep was able to break right thru. I use the jeep for 42 driveways every storm, login it!!!! It a JEEP thing
  20. Botchy5967

Botchy5967 Member

Nice TJ buddy!