1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First bid...

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Matt Hart, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Matt Hart

Matt Hart Junior Member

Okay. Just got my plow it is a Boss V 9' 2"

The picture below is a church that my mom goes to and I was informed they are still taking bids untill Friday, I was planning on just subbing this year and picking up small things here and there, but since this came up and I have never bid before, always subbed.

So here it is 22000 sq feet. There is a area by the front door that is going to be tight with the blade but it will fit. Since there is a grass between the front door, hard to see.

Then there is the Pastors driveway which is a little less than a quarter mile. It is not paved. Then the turn around at the end of the driveway.I drew in red, sort of what it looks like, the truck and plow can fit through even though my sketch is not the best.

The next problem is they want it salted. I am going to make some calls to see if I can still get bagged salt before I put the bid in, since I did not plan on doing any of that.

I was thinking $150.00 per push and 135 for the salt, it is a church so I was planning on going a little heavy on the salt. Just wondering if the price is in a decent range? Like I said never bid before. I do not have a spreader, but if I get this account I will probably have to look into it for obveous reasons.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Where do you plan to get your salt?

I'm a rookie this year to commercial pricing, but I think your salt price is a bit low.
  3. Matt Hart

Matt Hart Junior Member

I called the person I used to work for a couple years back, he said it is 4.20 a bag for a 50lb bag at a supplier in our town. This I can not confirm since they were closed. I plan to call them first thing in the morning. I have never salted before so not sure on that.
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

That lot would take me about 20 to 25 minutes to do and a couple of passes down the drive and you are done. Price seems high for the per push. Here in cleveland you can get that lot at some where around $120 per push. Simple by the pictures. But you are in michigan. Salt seems to be about right. good luck. and if you are only salting that lot find a used cheap salt spreader.
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, 25 to 30 minutes to plow it.

I can do that lot here for $75 to $100 to plow it and make money at it.

Michigan is very low priced so it might go lower than that and church's are almost always on the very cheap side.

I'll bet it goes for about $50 or so (plus salt)
  6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with everything in this post. Being from MI, I know, people don't pay much around here for anything.

By the way, what kind of truck do you have?
  7. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

30 Minutes sounds right with less than 8". But I would stay at your $150 per push price. I know some people base pricing on the time it will take I tend to eyeball it and my pricing is always competitive. If you really want and are concerned about being underbid you could adjust it to where you are comfortable. There was a good thread a couple weeks back where someone had given their formula for figuring salt needs try a search for that and it will give you a good idea of your salt pricing. Also think about tiered pricing for 1-3" 3-6" etc. If you get a storm you'll be there a whole lot longer than 30 min. JMO. Why no seasonal pricing?
  8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Keep in mind, this is in MICHIGAN! We have been in a "recession" here for about 20 years now.
  9. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

salting I would be at $155 according to your sq/ft. Plowing I would be $125-150. My numbers are dependent on how close the account is to other accounts. Sidewalks to be done?
  10. Matt Hart

Matt Hart Junior Member

I am actually headed over there today to get the exact feel for the church.

As for a seasonal contract, I am also talking to the Pastor to find out what he is looking for. I was writing a per push and seasonal one up and going to let them choose.

As it is my first bid I was afraid of being called the "low baller" There is about 10 minutes worth of sidewalk to be shoveled.

I figured with my plow it would only take about 30 minutes or so, with the 9' 2" blade.

Once I get out there and find exactly what he wants I may go lower, just wasn't sure and thank you all for your responses and advice.

The truck is a 2004 F250
  11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

$70 for the lot and $45 for the drive + $110 for the salt would be where i would bid it.

but the winning bid will be around $75 for plowing everything and $50 for salt.
  12. captfudd

captfudd Member

do yourself a favor your just getting started so dont go blasting away looking to set the world on fire with top dollar pricing lock up a couple places to get a good name for yourself and then you can build and make annual adjustments from there

$90.00 a push with salting at $50.00

13. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

you would salt all that for $50???
  14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I salt single driveways for $15. $50 for a lot is ridiculously low>>>>:dizzy:
  15. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

:dizzy: The plow price is low IMO. That salt price though.......where are you buying salt that you can afford those prices?
  16. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

salt should be at $130 based on 1 ton per 100,000sf rule, in a normal salting event you will need 400-450lbs.
  17. Matt Hart

Matt Hart Junior Member

Well adjusted my numbers a bit. Put in a per push bid as well as a seasonal.