1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First attempt at brine was a failure

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by G&Co, Jan 18, 2013.

1. G&Co

G&Co Junior Member

Our first attempt at spraying brine went well until we added the salt. I now have 4 inches of salt in the bottom of the rig. We added some water and then salt and them finished off filling the tank. We were thinking that the high pressure and gpm we were filling off of would have diluted the salt enough...wrong. Where did we go wrong and what is everyone using to make brine? We calculated everything by weight to tell us what we needed to add to the tank to get out salinity. In 200 gallons we added 400lbs of salt. I will be cleaning out the spray rig.....

2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

did you let it ferment ? you'll need an agitator w/ a planetary speed reducer .:laughing:

juss kidding . i made a 55 gal. batch for small problem areas and it was a beetch creating it . constant mixing .

3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Let me try to understand this? It sounds like you filled your sprayer rig tank with water then added salt? Your trying to use your sprayer to make brine?

Well I'd say you went WRONG right there.

4. Kubota 8540

5. G&Co

G&Co Junior Member

Thanks for the help Kubota. We filled it half way then added salt, then filled the rest of the way.

6. Kubota 8540

Those links are to some of my creations. They all work very well. A lot of people have copied those designs and are very happy with them. If you use the search feature at the top of the page, you will find many other pages with brinemakers other Plowsite members have made.

7. G&Co

G&Co Junior Member

With as little snow and ice as we get here I probably just need to buy it ready made. Live and learn I guess

8. Kubota 8540

You can take my design and shrink it from the size that it is , down to (2) 55 gallon drums or (2) 5 gallon buckets depending how much you need or want to make.

9. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

Follow what Kabota says and it will work the way it should. If I had to pay him for all of his advice and help I would be bankrupt.

10. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

Nice video kubota.

How long can you store finished brine and do you need to regularly mix it? Or does it always stay in solution. I have been considering building a wetting system.

11. Kubota 8540

Well unfortunately I now know you can store it for 2 years. It hasn't snowed in what seems forever. Does not need to be mixed at all. It's still ready to spray.

12. hammerstein

Thank you. I saw your video of with a 100" spray arm how many gpm is that setup?

13. Kubota 8540

Approx 1.5-1.75 gpm per black SJ-3 tip. Not sure how many tips were on in the video you seen.

14. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Woah :eek::eek::eek::dizzy:

Yeah setup one rig for mixing and another rig for spraying the finished product.
    Havent seen one setup that allows you to do both at the same time yet.

15. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

I followed Kubotas instructions did as he did Now I'm making money spreading brine ...with great results Do as he does...save your self time and money..he is THE BRINE MAN...all jokes aside Thank You Jim You are The Brine Man

16. Kubota 8540

For the right money, I'm certain I can build a one-does-all setup up. LOL But I can tell you up front you will have to use bag solar salt. But were talking more $$ than a separate sprayer and separate brinemaker will cost.

17. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

I hope you put patents on those. I saw your earlier post back a few years ago. I would have patent the crap out of that.

18. Kubota 8540

My purpose was to help those interested in getting into liquids to do so cheaply. Not prevent them from being able to make money, decrease salt usage, or offer their customers a choice. Patents are not always the easiest things to defend and can be very expensive to do so. Also expensive and time intensive to file. They should be reserved for truly unique ideas that will produce high dollar returns.

I have my brinemaker and sprayer ideas from Idaho to Connecticut, from the Carolinas to Canada. OR PERHAPS THAT IS ALL THE SETUP FOR WHATS YET TO COME.? :laughing:

19. hammerstein

I was considering making mine in one tank as well and using a hot pressure washer to fill it and also a mixing paddle mounted in the tank. Almost the same way we make our truck wash soap for our pressure washing bussines.

What are your thoughts on using hot water to speed up dissolving the salt. I know when we wash salt spreaders out the hot water is always faster at busting up and melting stuck salt.

20. Kubota 8540

I suppose you could use hot water. But when testing you would need to use the correction chart for the difference in water temperature.

In my 2 tote brinemaker using solar salt I can make 400 gallons of 23.5% brine in 8-10 minutes (mixing time) using cold water so I really don't see the need for hot water?

Multiple problems when mixing in side a sprayer tank if using anything other than solar salt. There will just be too much debris and impurities.

But if you do it you need to post your results.