1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First accident ever plowing.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by windrowsnow, Jan 18, 2009.

1. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Out plowing today at new location this year been mowing the lawn for four years. Running my final pass i come out to the road yeild and wait for the northbound car to pass once it passes i then head south in the northbound lane and would ya believe it some white trash hoe runs right into the passanger side bumper of the dump.

I get out of the truck and shes cussing at me blah blah blah. i call the police and i get cited. Cop tells me hes been arguing with plow contractors all week and is tired of it... we need to slow down. im like really because i was moving 2mph.

then he wants to cite me for pushing snow across the road, driving into oncoming traffic, and not yeilding at a private drive. Now the cop even had the woman admit i stopped she told him i stopped.

well now her back hurts her and the ems show up check her out and nothing wrong. No matter what i did right wrong or anything i would of been cited because this cop had it out for plow drivers today. good thing i was in the f350 just creased the bumper....we will have to see what the insurance company says.

2. I'd be at the police stations filing a complaint against the cop and raising such a stink the cops in Pakistan would smell it....

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

YEAH, you cant say that loud and clear enough! So how many tickets did you get? F that, id take it to court and also have your insurance handle it and notify them of the BS too. Find out if there is any way they can have their attorney reps go represent you for your ticket"s" too since thats in their best interest probably to not have you have the book slammed on ya.

4. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

What cops in Pakistan??? jk

I think that you need to at least go to your court date and fight it. But like everyone else here said, I would probably file a complaint, or talk to the watch commander. Hard to say if you'd get anywhere by talking to one of them though. You could talk to the internal investigations officer though.

5. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Good luck man. I hope its as simple as it can be so you can move on.

6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

im obviously out of the norm.....

you were driving in the wrong direction and pushing snow into the road then cause an accident and now you want to fight it? no wonder the officer was alittle po'ed, having to deal with people like the last posters that seem to also break laws and expect to get away with it.

no one wants to be responsible and everyone wants a break :rolleyes:

not saying im perfect but if i cause an accident with my plowing i am going to man up to it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  7. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

take it to court...if the cop said he was sick of plow guys use that argument.

keep it all fresh in your mind and write it down! go over it several times
    your just the friendly plow guy trying to make a living and trying to plow to help others make a living too.

8. I'm not condoning the guy driving the wrong direction on a street. Yes that is wrong and with every right he should get a ticket for that. But if I'm picturing the accident scene correctly it sounds like she pretty much t-boned him or hit him side on. I don't think it mattered what direction his truck was facing, she would have hit him or someone anyways.

9. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

my truck was facing south with no traffic comeing....she was headed south and slid into the passenger side of my bumper. not to mention there was no snow in the road i had just finished cleaning the road up from the trail off.

10. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

sounds like she was not aware of her surroundings and was not fully alert.
    also doesn't sound like had full control of her vehicle.

11. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Your getting the screw job.

Ya know ..... It's ok for other utility companies to close roads without permits .... why not close roads for plowing. Pull up, drop your cones and huge triangles and get to work safely with the road closed.

I would calmly talk to the watch commander and explain the situation. You stand a chance they could rectify or talk to the cities prosecutor BEFORE the court date.

12. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

We block enterances with our trucks at times as we plow. Boy do we get some dirty looks but thats the only safe way we can come up with to plow these blind enterances.

13. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

looked at my ticket and my court date is tomorrow at 5pm

14. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Sounds like you should have got a ticket. Doesn't sound like the cop was out to get you. Putting a plow on doesn't make you immune to traffic laws. Glad it was just a minor collision. Don't think you have a chance in court. Cop wasn't out to get you just doing his/her job. You as the professional should know that other drivers suck and be extra careful.

15. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

B.S.
    here in maine plow trucks have the right of way...after or during a storm.. how else are you going to clean out the end of some ones drive way? thats why we have flashing lights on top...
    if you don't have the light and you get hit. it's your fault

i had a cop harass me once because i was in my fathers car with fire fighter plates.
    he told me he's sicks of people with fire fighter plate and how we think we can speed when and where we want to... after his speech.. i handed him the registration and said it's not my car.. i'm not a fire fighter.. he apologized and even told me to watch out for the cops the next town over because they are not so lenient. that was really cool of him. most cops would't admit they where wrong

16. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Cops can be d*cks, plain and simple. I should know, both my brothers are cops and my dad was a statie for NJ. They have worked with some really nasty guys, over the years.