1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

First accident, and hopefully last.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WinTech, Feb 14, 2007.

1. WinTech

WinTech Junior Member

I am new to plowing and this was my first storm. It is a marina filled with large boats (mostly 40') and very technical to push. I have a mason dump with an 8'6" western, which is too big for this job. I had just finished my second push and was backing to leave...and backed into the corner post of the clubhouse. Minor damage to the post, but I still felt like an a$$. :blush2: Now I am afraid to back up anywhere in this place. If that had been a boat, they would have all come down like dominos. My chevy dump has those small electric mirrors, not the tall fixed ones. I would hate to switch them out, but maybe I have to. Any suggestions, I am headed out again later. :eek:

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Just back up until you hear a crunch and then go forward really fast. Seiously, sorry to hear about it man. I would hate plowing with a dump.

3. Big Ben

Big Ben Junior Member

It could have been worse. I'd say go with larger mirrors. Also try some 50watt halogen back-up bulbs. you can get them at Jc whittney for like $15 and they are super-bright. halogen bulbs produces 2-1/2 times more light, lasts 3 times longer than standard bulbs.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Perfect need for a rear view dash cam.

5. WinTech

WinTech Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys. The last push today was much better, I changed the pile locations which helped minimize the backups, This lot is very difficult, especially for a newbie.

I already ordered the 50W bulbs. Does anyone know if the Weldex backup cameras are any good? Can anyone recommend a good backup camera system.

6. Dent82

Dent82 Member

It could be worse, I knocked over a basketball post yesterday. Completly destroyed my rear bumper. :realmad: Lucky for me the owner didn't care and asked if I would just rip it out when the snow melts.

7. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Dont feel bad, I backed into a tree today, luckily no damage done to the tree or my truck. Just popped out of no where. I could see how I missed it, its probably only a couple hundred years old!:rolleyes:

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I hate that too, i almost backed into my truck when plowing with the atv because i wasnt paying attention and somehow didnt see a large white pickup there, and im the one that parked the truck there.

9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Well, those trees do grow pretty fast this time of year. :D

10. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

lol

I hate that when that happens. That really made me laugh seening how I have done that.

11. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member

I thought about mounting a RV rear view camera on the back of the F 650 Dump I drive , but those Nite View B/W camera's cost $ 450 , too much to be constantly replacing them. :dizzy:
    Bob

12. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

That's nothing!

I've been doing this for 10 yrs, never hit so much as a post. This morning I back out onto a street and BAM!!!!!!
    Took out the guy's whole pass. side.

It was probably hard for him to see my 250 4dr long box with blue lights, going in and out.

My Fault- :nono:

13. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I did it as well about 4 years ago. I got suck going around a culd-de-sac and backed up quickly to get free and.... BAM..:realmad: Right into a Granite mail box post. Snap! I was tired from plowing for about 10 hours and just blew it. It cost me a new bumper, New Granite post and about 3 hours in the freezing cold drilling a hole in his broken post and base and then putting a piece of re-bar with hydraulic cement so he could get mail untill spring. payup Thank god the guy was extremely nice. He couldn't believe I told him i did it. He thought the town did it.. because they had smashed his mail box two other times.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  14. GBRONNE

GBRONNE Junior Member

Sucks Man, Change Your Strategy In That Area, Fix The Post Asap, Fess Up To The Customer, You Should'nt Need Cameras On A Plow Truck, If You Backed Into A Snow Pile Which Happens You'd Be Out There Cleaning It Every Hour Wasting Time, You Want To Stay In Your Truck, Once You Get Wet, All Your Windows Fog, And You'll Be Hitting Even More Things. Certainly Bigger Mirrors Would'nt Hurt, S##t Happens. Thats Why We All Pay Insurance. Have A Nice Day. Gary.

15. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

It happens to all of us eventually. Hell I'll even admit it, I backed into my own garage door one day while clearing my driveway, all damage was minimal, except that to my ego. My advice, just use extra precaution and look into either extended mirrors, or if you have the money those video cams are pretty sweet!

16. jdanforth

jdanforth Member
    from maine

just remember when you install camera,try to put it in a location where the snow wont build up on it to much,thats the only down fall. kinda looks like youre tailgate after plowing all day. good luck

17. WinTech

WinTech Junior Member

WOW, I feel much better hearing everyone's stories. I still think a back-up camera and brighter lights are good ideas. I was able to have my carpenter do a quick fix on the post, now it is hardly noticeable but still needs to be replaced. The marina manager was very cool, he said not to worry about replacing it until the spring. He also said to push and extra time next storm to make up for my repair cost in the spring!

18. cjthse

cjthse Junior Member

I have the same problem with my F-550, i need to invest in bigger mirrors.....

19. phatsat67

phatsat67 Junior Member
    from indiana

The only stuff I ever have it is my own. I guess thats good. I bent my grandmas garage door in once but I just pushed it back out from the inside.This year I had a run on a thick pile and went to far and knocked over my moms chain link at her shop no biggie. I often find myself reeeaalllyy close to stuff when im not paying attention but I guess Im lucky That I havent hit anything. Just take time when backing up thats what I do. Sucks with the freakin CAMPERSHELL my dad put on the truck this year.

20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I've backed into a few things in 10 years of plowing... it happens. Especially when your tired.

Backup lights are a definate- but be sure to wire them correctly (search here...do NOT wire them into the reverse light circuit)

Don;t waste the $$ on a camera- spend that cash on decent mirrors- my dump has junior west coast mirrors- they look like mini semi mirrors but are worthless on a dump. Get real semi style mirrors- they will make a WORLD of difference, plus you can get them heated!

You have to condition yourself to mentall slow down and be deliberate with a big truck or a blind truck like a dump in tight quarters. Don;t worry, you'll get it comfortible there soon enough.