1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Firestone Winterforce Size

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SnowFakers, Nov 19, 2014.

1. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

So I bought a set of summer wheels for my truck, and luckily the have a set of decent tires that should last all summer with no problem. My current Mastercrafts are shot... So I started looking for a dedicated winter tire. I have found a set at place called tirebuyer.com, I'm just unsure what size I should be getting for the best performance. I also don't know how to determine what the heigh is of the tire based of say a 265/75r/16. My current truck has 285/75/16 now, and since it will be a winter tire I'm not crazy worried about size, but I don't want it to look like I have a set of donuts on there. Any body have an insight here? Thanks

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

265 is fine

3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Are they skinnier than my current tires? Isn't that the biggest factor for traction?

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Slightly. They say it is. I've never had an issue. Personally I think it's more of an old school tale

5. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Ah okay, thanks whiffy

6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

If you're buying winterforce tires you'll be fine with 265. Best snow tires out there in my opinion

7. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Glad to hear, I've seen a lot of guys had good luck with them

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

here we go again with the "fairy tale" of a skinny tire being better in snow.... personally i never considered the law of physics to be a "tale" (especially one as easy to comprehend as this), but a lot of people around here do.....

tire size has been beaten to death here so i'm not going to repeat what has already been stated a million times (and proven as fact) but a narrow tire is better in the snow then the exact same tire of a wider width. will you notice a difference from a 235 tire to a 245 tire? probably not. will you notice a difference between a 235 and a 285? i certainly would.

as for your other question about tire size... here's an example. the best tire size on a 3/4 or 1 ton plow truck is a 235 tire in my experienced opinion. i run a 235/85-16 tire. heres what it means....

235 - tread width of tire in millimeters. translates to about 9.25 inches.
    85 - the aspect ratio. take width of 235 and multiply it times 85%. thats about 200mm, or 7.9". this is the height of your sidewall - the distance from the outside of the rim to the tread. note that in determining the overall height of a tire, this number needs to be multiplied times 2.
    16 - the diameter of the rim in inches.

SO..... a 235/85-16 tire is 9.25" wide by 31.8" tall. (31.8 = 7.9*2+16)

if you follow the above logic you can figure out in inches the width and height of of any tire with this size convention. all you need is to be able to convert mm to inches (a quick google search and you will find a calculator to do this)