1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Firestone and 2002 GM

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Waterchikn, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Hi all, I have a question for one of my friends about his 2002 GM
    It is the 2500HD with Duramax and alison
    Sweet truck...anyway, he just turned 16,000 on it and had a really annoying sound in the front end, like a thumping sound...hard to explain. He took the truck to the dealer since it has plenty of warranty left, and they said that the tires need to be rotated every so often or this problem will arise. I can't see it. He can't see it either. I knew if I asked on here, someone would know what the deal is. They are the Firestone Steeltex tires, which seem like good tires. Is the dealer full of it or what??? I can't imagine that those tires would be that out of wack in such alittle time (or mileage). He is going to rotate them and see what happens. It would just seem that when he puts those tires in the rear, the sound is going to just of there.... please help...thanx in advance.
  2. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

I have seen tires go bad in as little as 10000 miles of not being rotated. Tire rotations are a cheap and easy way of getting the most out of your tires. I have had many customers say they need an alignment and I rotate the tires and their complaint is gone. I can rarely see a defect in the tire but when on the front it makes the car pull.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

At 16,000,he is due for a rotation,but I'd have a hard time believing that that's his problem.

He may in fact have a bad tire,but it would not be caused by lack of rotation.It's probably a belt separated or shifted,if it's even the tire at all.

If it's a tire problem,then it would be dealt with by the tire manufacturer,or one of their dealers,not the GM dealer.

I would tell them if you rotate the tires and it's gone,then i'll pay,if not,then they eat it.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2003

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

run your hand over the front tires they probaly will have a bumpy

feel to them if you cant see it maybe on the inside of the tread

rotating will help but once their feathered the ll stay that way

cardoctor:salute: :salute:

god bless america
  5. long0

long0 Senior Member

Could it be flat spots. Rotating would not help the matter, and I am not sure how you get flat spots on a tire when the truck has ABS, but another thought to consider.

6. T. Matthews

T. Matthews Junior Member

Hey There,

I just bought a used 01 chevy 2500hd with 30000 on it . Awsome truck I had a couple of small problems with it when i got it. First it needed an alignment it wasn 't that bad thought, it had a knock in the sterring and a thump in the tire which i thought was a tire out of balance. Well come to find out the steering shaft needed to be greese to stop the knock and the firestone tire was seperating from the tread which accounted for the thumping everything was covered under warrenty.

T. Matthews
  7. Willie

Willie Member

Tires usually don't make a thumping sound from not being rotated. Out of round yes. Have them rotated and balanced if there out of round they will notice it on the balance machine. A lot of after market tire places will offer you a one time charge to rotate and balance the tires until there down to 2/32. that way you can have them re-rotated and balanced as often as you like. Make sure you take it to a Firestone dealer so they can warranty the tire if needed for adjustment.
  8. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

I just wanted to add that I love firestone tires and am glad that GM did not hop on the bandwagon with ford when they blamed their troubles on firestone

afterall we have had 2 customers need a new tire on their exploder when a goodyear blew out maybe just maybe it was not a tire problem, maybe thats why ford ended the recall abruptly last year:confused:
  9. Willie

Willie Member

The tire that Firestone developed for the Ford exploder was designed to run on 28psi. I sold a but load of those tires and never had one come back for tread separation. But I did have a lot come back for uneven wear. Which was due to lack of rotation, alignments, or bad shocks.

But the other thing Frod doesn't talk about or bring up about the Exploder is just about every one of those trucks has cracked fins on the coolant fan fins at the base of the fan. I don't know whats happened in the last three years because I've been out of the service end for that long.