1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

firestone air bags

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by chas4x4, Jan 31, 2003.

1. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

Do the air bags help on the front to take some weight off the springs F-250hd or would some thing else be better.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Air bags would help,but I don't recommend them on front axles,unless they are they are the type that goes inside a coil spring.Yor F250,if it 4WD should have leafs.A set of Timbrens,or hollow rubber load boosters would do a much better job.Theyu will never wear out or leak either.You can also upgrade to heavier springs,depending on what you have.

3. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

I have Firestone bags on the rear of my F 250. They worked out well. No idea about the front.

4. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I have a set coming for the front and rear of my F350SD PSD.

I'll let you know when I get them installed.

They can't be to bad the big trucks have them.

5. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Air bags do help, quite a bit actually. I have had mine on my 97 for three and half years and they have given me no poblems at all. I run 60-90psi when the plow is on and 10-25psi when not. It raised the front end as much as 2" and helps with the truck not "bottoming out" when going over bumps with the plow on.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

The only reason I don't recommend them on a front axle,is they don't hold up too well.I used to install lots of them,several hundred sets,and they are starting to come back in with worn or torn bags.I think the front axle articulates a lot more than the rear,which tends to stress the bags more,and wears them out quickly.

If you look at the bags on the big trucks,they are WAY beefier,which is probably why they hold up.Most big trucks seem to be switching over to Timbrens,as they are maintenance free,don't leak,and never wear out.

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I am yet to see anything over a 550/ 2 ton truck with solid/hollow load boosters everything is air ride, why change a good thing?:rolleyes:

~Nate~

8. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

air bags

97 F350 DULIE PSD 4X4 9' UTILITY BODY 9' FISHER 8' SS SANDER WITH EXTENSION ON TOP CAN DO 3 YARDS IN SANDER .
    FIRESTONE 2500 LB BAGS 2 FRONT AJUSTIBLE FROM CAB VIA ELECTRIC SOLINOIDS,2 REAR 2500 BAGS WITH NEWWAY HIGHT AJUST VALVE 12 VOLT COMPRESSOR UNDER HOOD WITH AUTO PRESSURE SWITCH 5 GALLON TANK UNDER TRUCK WORKS GREAT RIDES LIKE A CADDY LOADED OR EMPTY:waving:

9. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

The plus of air bags over add-a -leafs or new springs is that they are adjustable, air em up with plow on, air em down when it's off. I put a set on the front of a '78 F-150, (coil spring), I'm pretty sure that converted it to a 1-Ton truck.:D And if the bags do wear out, I believe you can order replacement bags seperate from Firestone.

10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

You're obviously not looking in the right places. In the early 1970s Mack was using a rubber suspension. Hendrickson had one in the early 90s and I think both are still available now. They seemed more popular on construction trucks (mixers and dumps). Don't know that I've ever seen them on OTR rigs as the ride quality was a bit on the poor side. But in off road, rough environments they seemed to shine.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2003