1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

firefighters plowing snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by insnow4fun, Jan 18, 2005.

1. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

i know there are a few of you out there...my question is....

do you use your plow truck....decked in strobes and leds as your fire run truck if you are a volley? i have not thought about the strobes yet, and was wondering if i could have like hideaways on the corners....something amber uptop, and the like maybe a blue visor light for the fire runs.

if you would, let me know what some of you other volleys are doing.
  2. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I am a career firefighter so I do not respond to calls in my POV. Determining what you can run on your POV depends on your state laws, and will vary from state to state. The local Police should be able to direct you to the right info. Places like Galls will sell you anything, even if you can't run it on your POV.
  3. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I don't see a reason that you couldn't run both colors and just have them switched. Amber only or Blue only or ..

4. dacse

dacse Junior Member

I have 2 blue and 4 clear strobes on my truck. When plowing, I just unplug the blue strobes from my power supply and use the clear ones.
  5. hillmin

hillmin Junior Member

As a volunteer in NH our FD lights are red. I have a red light on my dash and a magnetic amber light on the roof I use when plowing. I don't think we are allowed to use built in strobes on personal vehicles like the state, town, or fire trucks have.

In our town private plow contractors are required to have one amber light on their vehicle when plowing. Check your loca codes.
  6. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

thanks guys, that is the same thing i was thinking

are there control boxes out there that would let me flip one switch for hide-a-ways on the corners, a switch for the blue lights (where ever i mount those) and then an additional switch for the amber lights? didn't really want to think about 3 independant systems ($$$$) just wanted to turn on lights for what ever i am doing.

also, this is kind of on the business side of things, but.....how much personal use of a business vehicle am i allowed?

any help is really appreciated.
  7. new2it

new2it Member

I'm a volunteer in Maine. State law permits one red light with a max width of 5" including housing. Though you see people with multiple lights and red/white light bars, this is illegal in Me on POV's unless the vehicle is registered as an emergency vehicle (only the chief and deputy chief fall into this category).
  8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

At least you guys get to have lights on your vehicles. One of the reasons why the state of Maryland sucks. No lights, volley can only respond POV while obeying all traffic laws. The chief is the only one allowed with lights. (and we bought him is own SUV) Not fun when you live 3.5 miles from the fire house and the roads are all 40 - 25 mph. Can't seem to figure out why Maryland has some of the worse response times in volunteer departments in the whole US. :realmad:
  9. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

To follow up - In Maine we can use 1 maximum 5" across red light either on the dashboard or in the immediate area of the front license plate. This light gives us no priveleges whatsoever. Even with a red light we are not authorized to exceed the posted speed limit or go through stop signs or red lights and you need a permit to carry it! No wonder mine is under the bench in my garage.

Ok, on to the technical question. I think your asking if you can have one switch control two different sets of lights. The answer is yes. You could use a single pole double throw (SPDT) toggle switch to control turn on your hideaways in one dirredtion and blue lights in the other. An SPDT toggle is off in the middle and on up and down it can be wired to either power two loads off one feed or one load off two feeds. Example of the latter would be ax backup lights that youwant the options of on all the time, off, and on with vehicle back up lights.
  10. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Do you think you may end up responding with plow attached? If so, I say no hide-a-ways. You want maximum visibility and that means roof top!
  11. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

good point...didn't think of that....responding with the plow.....hmmmm
    will get back to you on that one.....but....

visibility would be #1 for both cases: fire and plow

was thinking amber bar uptop for plowing, blue visor light or something to that extent and then hide-a-ways all the way around just for added visibility for both operations.

in indiana, we are allowed to have blue lights, but MUST obey all traffic laws while responding. so i don't want to overdo the blue lights. would look kind of silly sitting at a red light with 20 strobes flashing waiting for the light to turn green....lol... so just kind of a courtesy light like the visor mounted lights..etc.
  12. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

I live in a small town were all we have are call fireman. My wife and live at the bottom of the street. Our street is the only direct route to the fire house,which happens to be at the top of the street. I was out side last sunday and I heard sirens. I went to the front of the yard to see a policeman flying up the street. Off in the distance I heard some more sirens so I stayed in the front and about 12 call fireman went up the street in a matter of 2 or 3 minuntes one guy had his plow attached with front strobes going. He was being followed by 2 other call fireman. IMO I thought it was kind of strange to see a call fireman blasting up the street with his plow on. When your in a pich what are you going to do
  13. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

take a look at the backrack light bar system. this mounts on your bed rails and gives you high vis. also allows for reverse lights. only amber strobes allowed up here.
  14. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Support your local volunteer fire & ems people....your life and property depend on them. :waving:

Lifetime member / volunteer FF
  15. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

well said indysnowplow......just joined the fire service in april....taking my ff1/ff2 as we speak....love doing what i have done so far...

indy, any drawbacks on being able to use my plowtruck as my response vehicle (with or without (mostly without) the plow) thought might be able to share the light systems. what are the issues with using a business truck for something other than business.

where abouts in indy ya located....i might be of service to you, if ya need...once i get off the ground running.
  16. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

I run full lights and siren on my F250 (permit) the yellow light is not an issue because I plow private property. I have run on many Fire and EMS calls with the plow and sander I just avoid using the siren because the plow blocks it. I have plowed driveways quickly so our ambulance can have access (no one clears the driveway at 3:00 AM)
  17. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

I am a volly in sw ct and I use my truck to respond to calls when it snow i have a six outlet strobe pack and a two switch setup in the front I have a hide away in each turn signal and two strobe lights in front bumper ( 95 dodge) in rear I have a yellow strobe in each turn signal light, When responding to calls I just turn on the fronts and leave the rears off until I get to the scene then I turn them on when plowing I use just the rears and the yellow beacon on the roof. You can respond to calls with the plow on Alot of the guys do around here I personally do not use my blue lights while responding to calls during a snow storm for two reasons first you can not see them with the plow up and second you have people that have a hard enough time driving in bad weather now add someone with blue lights on coming up behind them and you are just asking for big trouble (just my opinion)
  18. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

blue hair and knuckles

It has always puzzled me on the strict rules imposed on the volunteer’s response in a private vehicle and the public’s perception. Volunteers need to first get to the big red truck in order to save you. The call starts at the tone.. Not when the truck rolls!

Nothing frustrates me more then seeing blue hair and knuckles in front of me responding to a serious call.
  19. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

I dont see any drawbacks to you responding to a call in your truck with the plow on it. As always, use caution, obey the laws of the roads & arrive ALIVE.

Our office is located on the westside of Indy.
    email: info@indypropertycare.com
  20. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

If I have the blade on my truck it goes with me to the call. We are a 2 piece company and if only one piece goes out on a dub call I (or one of the other guys with a plow) will stay behind and clear out in front of the bays. The Cities' sub contractor plows the lot with a Cat 966 but because of the layout of the lot and building he can't get very close. On the other hand this year we are the first place plowed on that route as they park the loader in our yard. We are also the only one of 7 Stations plowed by either a DPW or sub contractor. The other 6 stations are plowed by the on duty (full time) crew with two of the department's service trucks. They are strictly prohibitted from responding code 3 with the plow on by FD policy.