1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JV, Mar 27, 2002.

1. JV

JV Junior Member

Anyone have experience with Meyer plows causing a vehicle fire?

Recently came home to find my truck on fire. Couldn't open the hood to get at it, so it was a total loss. Investigators said it was electrical, but there was too much damage to determine the exact cause. Doubt I will buy Meyer again, but I would like to know what went wrong.

Blade for sale...

2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Not Myers but I had the same problem with a Jeep CJ7. Got the truck used from our Public Safety Dept. on Campus and had a company put a new 6' Fisher on it to plow sidewalks. Got it back from the shop. The boss takes it to lunch the next day and stopped at the bank to cash his paycheck. Walks out of the bank and the thing is fully involved. Never plowed once with it, Total loss. Same thing, the insurance investigator thought it was an electrical problem with the istallation but can't prove it so......Stripped Plow and headgear off Jeep and fabricated it to fit a John Deere 1070 tractor to plow sidewalks. Except that plow is now gone and the tractor now has a Meyer on it. I got the Myer real cheap (brand new) was kicking around a distributors yard for two years and he got tired of tripping over it so he sold it to me for a song.:D
  3. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Sorry to here of your fire but I don't think Meyer caused the fire, probably the installer did. I would think it was 1 of the large postive wires probably rubbed thru the insulation or the solenoid grounded out. My point is that most plow manufactors have large power leads & solenoids so it could happen to any plow .;).

I install all of my plows my self as I want to take care of how & where wires are placed. I showed a friend on his Chevy trucks that the placement of where the dealer placed the solenoid was a very bad idea as it was very easy for it to be bumped into the grounding stud. He took it back to the dealer to make them move it & they said don't worry it couldn't happen. :confused: So the installer tried to show it couldn't hit it & BAMM it hit it and now that don't place them their anymore.;)
  4. JV

JV Junior Member

The plow was 14 months old and was professionally installed where I bought it.

They mounted the soleniod on the top side of the left wheel well. It was pretty rusty, but I didn't notice any bare wires.

The truck had been sitting in my driveway about 16 hours when I came home and found the truck on fire.

Is there anything from the plow lights that could have contributed? Meyer Nite Saber lights use a 'module' on the '99 RAM that works with the trucks computer. (at least that's what the installer told me at the time)

5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Night sabers

It possible but I still would think it was 1 of the large positive wires rubbed thru & grounded out. They tell you to check them every year but I'll bet 90% of owners never check as if it ain't broke don't worry. I found cut thru wires on 2 friends trucks over the years & they were professionaly installed units by the dealer.;) It's the same old thing if it's not mine who cares attitude, some of the dealer installers I've personaly seen don't give a damn IMO.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

As far as Jeep go the fires are notorious on CJ. As a firman I have seen probably 2 dozen in 6 years. Very common because the original motors leak and there are tons of wires right above the engine. My brothers has a rebuilt motor and wiring to cut down on the chance. He keep his engine real clean as well.

I would not be surprised if a fire had been caused by a poor install. Remember though that only the wire between the battery and solenoid should be hot at all times. This lead should not have been to long but if it got pinch could have caused the fire.
    14 months seems like a short time to already have seen the solenoid rust over.

Have you looked into the truck? Fire Marshalls get reports on vehicles that may have a fire problem. Ford F series had dash fires in the late 80's.

Was it insured?
  7. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Hate to say it but $hit happens. That's why the small cost of comprehensive coverage is well worth it. Might have been the plow install went bad but don't blame Myers. Anytime you have a high amperage, unfused, wire in a circuit the potential is there for a really nice BBQ cart.
  8. JV

JV Junior Member

This is the first I'm hearing about checking the electrical connections every year. The installer said nothing about it. I'm not disagreeing, but I don't check the other wires on my vehicles for rubbing wear (maybe I should).

I haven't found anything about fires on the '99 RAM 2500s. Yes, it was insured, but lets just say after this is settled I will be switching insurance companies. Apparently being with the same insurance company since 1978 doesn't count for squat!

I not blaming Meyer, just want to get to the cause so I can try to prevent it from happening again. Man did I have some choice words run through my mind when you recently replied about the $100 Meyer plow.

Looking at a '99 1500 Silverado ext. cab 4x4 5.3L, how does this compare to other vehicles in it's class? What should be beefed up if I put a plow on it? (Just my driveway .3 miles) Don't think it has plow prep. I would go 3/4 ton but I'm also looking for fuel economy.

9. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I don't remember saying anything about the $100 Meyer. I think that's in reference to JAA offering that it was worth that much. My only thought was that it must be one HEAVY plow 'cuz around here scrap goes for a penny a pound.
  10. JV

JV Junior Member

Sorry for the missunderstanding. Guess this fire thing is a little too fresh in my mind.
  11. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Not only should you check electrical conn. & wires for rubbing, you are to check & tighten all nuts & bolt on the entire plow system. ;)
  12. JV

JV Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys.

13. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

One thing I like to do any place where a wire could rub through or cut is to encase it in a piece of hose. I use either vacuum hose or fuel hose depending on the size required.
    You just take a short piece and slit it lengthwise then wrap it around the wire and secure it in place with wire ties. This not only could save you breakdown time on a job but it could also save your truck as well as your butt.

14. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

plow jockey,

that is great advice, we do the same thing on hydraulic lines too anywhere they touch or rub against anything, including any other
    hydraulic lines, garden hose will work good for some lines.

will at least double your life of the hose, had several on wheat combines that have been on for years.some of them are over
    15' long, and can be a bear to replace.

Have even seen some use this as a temp fix on a broken hydro
    line so at least the equipment can be moved to better location
    to replace hose, still leaks but works, would not suggest doing
    this very long as leaking oil onto something hot is asking for
    that four-letter word ......... (FIRE)
  15. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

JV, when you mentioned alan reference to the $100 meyer plow, i think you had the alan right, just the wrong alan. john allin, had mentioned that in a recent thread.
  16. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

When replacing hydraulic lines, anyone get replacement ones made with with the metal wire shroud around them. Forgot what it's called. We haven't for our snow plows (sno ways), but we do now for any new hoses we put on our dingo.