1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fire Extinguishers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dlcs, Dec 28, 2004.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

How many of you guys carry a fire extinguisher in or on your trucks? What kind do you guys carry if you do? I try to make sure one is in every vehicle, never know when one will come in handy. How about first aide kits, how many have one with them?
  2. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I have a 5lb foam mounted in a weather proof cover on the drivers side front of my bed, ready the minute I get out of the truck.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My 3500 is registered as Commercial. Fire extinquisher and warning triangle are required for a Commercial inspection. Mine is a Fire Control.
  4. The Coach

The Coach Junior Member

I usually just drink a lot of coffee before i plow ;) :p
  5. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

No fire extinguisher, yet. I do have a first aid kit. Working full time as a firefighter/paramedic, medical supplies are easily accessable. I bought a small tool box and BORROWED all my supplies. I carry flashlight, batteries, hot packs, antibiotic ointment, bandades, bandages, sterile water and more! First Aid kit is a must!
  6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

just installed my extinguisher......just th 5lb model my g-ma gave me because she just had it laying around. i see even Wal-mart and what not carries the APC brand extinguisher in the car sections for under 50 bucks...my truck is worth alot more than that to me so why not carry one. All the elctrical juice i have under the hood, plus the engine oil lines running to a cooler, not to mention how quick hydraulic fluid can catch on fire when hot.....
  7. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Most extinguisher found at any hardware or home inprovement store will do just fine. Make sure they have an A B C rating on them which will cover electrical, fuel and wood/paper fires. Its a all around extinguisher. I carry them in all my truck.
  8. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

Fire extinguisher and first aid kit are in truck all the time
  9. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

Yup, 5lb ABC and a first aid kit with the usual ointments/bandages, and gause (sp) and tweezers, scissors, tape, resperator mask, etc. F/ext in the bed box, kit under the rear seat with the rain gear, reflective wear, and gloves.
  10. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

i dont carry an extinguisher in my truck i probably should

for you guys that do make sure you carry a dry chem (ABC) they put out all fires

i know someone said they carry one in a box on the drivers side ready the second you get out of the truck. what if you dont get out or cant. try and keep em in reach of the driver

just my 2 cents for what its worth
  11. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I have both a fire extinguisher (ABC rating) and a first aide kit in my truck. The extinguisher isn't big, but for now...it'll do. I store them both in the secret compartment under the middle seat.

Better safe than sorry! :nod:
  12. ace911emt

ace911emt Member

5lb extinguisher, trauma bag and defibrillator (fire-EMS) we seem to get all our calls during the storms heart attacks / fingers in snow blowers, and just in case for our crew.
  13. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I carry both a First Aide Kit and 5lb extinguisher. I need the kit for my other job and have always had an extinguisher in the truck. I had to use one last year on a A $50,000 camper that started on fire. With three 5lb extinguishers we got it out with very little damage to the rig.
  14. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

We carry 5lb ABC dry powder & 1st AID kit in each truck.
  15. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

ii used to have one in my truck, till i got on the highway one night and had to hit the hooks pretty hard . the mount broke , the pin got pulled out and poof. 15lb of powder filling the truck. could not see , could not breath , steered for the shoulder and threw her in park and jumped out the truck before it was stopped. Was not fun , girlfriend did not like it much either, she was also in the truck. so what am i saying , make sure its mounted properly. It was in the truck when i got it and i never checked to see how well it was mounted. you have any idea how long it takes to clean that stuff up. every weekend i spent 4 hours cleaning , for 2 months..........