1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fire Chief here need help with wiring radio & lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Landscapes8988, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 Senior Member

Hey guys i have poked around here and there found one good thread here but the member hasn't been active since 2007 so i cant ask him any questions.

I just bought an 03 2500HD crewcab and need to install my mobile radio and a ton of red led lights...this is my first chevy and i have NO clue where to run wires. My superdutys are so easy...

also what would be the proper way to install this stuff? fuse block? relays? any ideas?

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Fuse block, with relays run to each switch. Depending on how many lights you are running and to where will depend on where you run the wires. Sometimes its easiest to just run them out the floor and under the truck. I have done a few installs on different trucks before so if you need help just ask.

3. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Depends what you are planning on installing.

4. Landscapes8988

I have a radio (need to run antenna wire somewhere)
    Siren
    48" visor light (led)
    and i have numerous whelen tir 3/4/6's to place all around.

I guess the main thing is the best way to got the wires inside the cab. I want it to be neat. another thing is the antenna for the radio. i want to put it on the roof center towards the back of cab. the headliner looks very stiff and molded (not like my superdutys) so i dont know if i should run the wire up there or not.

5. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

You can still run the wire up above the headline, just pop the plastics off one of the posts. If you're only putting in one antenna, just pop the dime light and drill a 3/4" hole in there and pop an NMO mount in it. As far as getting wires in the cab there should be room in one of the grommets on the firewall on the drivers side. If not, you can easily drill a new hole through the firewall and pop in a grommet. It's really no different than the ford, just might be a little different taking apart.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

First thing I would do is pre plan where you want your whelen leds. Decide where they look best and are going to be most effective on your truck. Next thing decide what type of switch box or switch setups you want to use. Do you have an idea of what you want to use yet or not? There is a spot in the firewall for you to drill a hole. It's hard to describe where it is, but if you go into the engine bay almost behind the master cylinder. There's a little indent in the steel. Kinda hard to find but run your fingers across the firewall and you will find it.

Once you figure this out then I would start wiring. Depending on how you want switching for the lighting will depend on weather you are able to run the wiring under the trim panel or not. I have a lot of wiring run under mine and it fits no problem. The radio should have its own wiring run separate from the rest of the lighting.

7. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

Post a pic of your center dash under the radio if you have the full center console. I have a great idea for you for mounting of switches and maybe radio depending on size!!!! It worked great on my 02

8. Landscapes8988

I will snap one tomorrow and post it.

9. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Right where the clutch pedal would be is a good spot.

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

It's up higher. There will be a removable piece of plastic with a tab you can grab onto to take it out.