1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finished my wings!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Philbilly2, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Finished up my wings this moring. I will not be using them much, just in a couple of lots that the snow has to be carried a few hundred yards out of the lanes in to the open as there are sidewalks with concrete ballards on both sides of the lanes.

I refuse to drill holes in another one of my molboards so here is what I came up with.

Not sure if I need to paint the top half of them red or not yet?

2. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

that's a whole lot of plow you've got there! If it gets much wider you'll have to mount caster wheels to the outside to be able to carry it. when did you get the new tires/rims? They look good and are pretty similar to what I'm running
  3. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Nice mod to the PW's....It will be interesting to see how that holds up. Looks like a solid mounting point from plow to backplate but, I'd be concerned that could cause it to fail as well.

Since your only using them on a couple lots you might be OK. Keep us updated on how it works! Good job!
  4. Philbilly2

I got the tires from moss a couple of days ago and got the wheels off diesel place the same day. I just needed somthing temp untill I can get a hold of the set that I really want to run. I will sell them once I get the others.

Yep, we will see how they work. it was this or nothing. I will never mount another set of the PW's they way they are meant to be mounted as many years ago, I punched a hole that you could almost put your fist through in the face of my molboard when I caught a tall curb with those dang things. I would rather rip the wings apart than the molboard of my plow.

Best part is if they don't work, I am only out $44 bucks for the 6 dually mudflaps that I had to buy. The rest was just scrap steel and old junk wings that I had laying around.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  5. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

that thing could probably fly with that width. wings look good. Yeah I refuse to drill holes in a plow.
  6. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

The wings look great but we need more pictures of the truck!
  7. Philbilly2

I will have to get some more pictures of the truck for you.

Anyone got any input on paint?

Should I make it match the molbard and cutting edge or not?
  8. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Nice fab work :nod:
  9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I don't see paint adhering to the rubber mudflaps that well. I doubt it would be worth your time.
  10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Never really liked the look of when the moldboard and edge are the same color. I would say do the moldboard red again and the edge black....thats just me though... BTW, do you plan to put more of an "edge" (thicker chunk) at the bottom of the wing than just the mudflap material? Like an actual edge that comes with PW's?

i agree John.
  11. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

good concept but I think you're gonna rip some steel after a time out our two. We manage to tear up pro-wings pretty good on our little quarter tons and thats with a 3 point mount. You've got a lot of weight behind those wings and its all falling on a pivot point thats pretty far away with out much surface area to sit on. I would see about adding another mount point if possible. Sorry I can't see a good way to do that without a bunch more welding.

is that 2" solid stock? or 2" tube? might be ok if its solid.
  12. millsaps118

Did ya get a chance to run these? We need an update on how they held up.
  13. Philbilly2

yeah, got a chance to run on them on the last snow. They were AWSOME! Only problem is that I need more weight in my truck. Pushing 11' with a 3/4 ton truck is a little tough. I was pushing the lane that I built them for and well, I ran out of tires. I was forced to shift into 4wd to finish the push. They held up to one snow... we will see about the rest. :eek:
  14. millsaps118

How's the wing mod holding up????
  15. Philbilly2

still holding strong! I used them on the 8 inch snow last week and on a couple of smaller snows and they move snow like a bulldozer.

On the next snow, I will try to bring a camera and get a video of the whole rig in action.
  16. millsaps118

Cool....keep us posted!
  17. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

Philbilly, do those rubber ribs on the foil help to keep it from flapping up. Mine flaps on the highway and I hate it. I've tried a few things and it's better but still flaps at high speeds. Where did you get the rubber from?
  18. Philbilly2

You know, of all the questions that I get asked, that is the most popular. The rubber foils that we use are from Coffman Bros. in Auroura, IL.

The funny part is that it will not let your foil flip up, instead it makes your whole plow pick up above 60mph.

THE-BOSS-PLOWS Senior Member

Looks Nice, Nice Truck Too
  20. Philbilly2

here is the end of the season update. wings held up fine. only had one time the whole year that a weld broke and just caused the wing to not be at the same angle that I wanted. Other than that, I am more that happy with the build. hopefully next year I can pick up a wide-out or a v-plow and ditch the wings in full.