1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finished my contracts today - looking for some input

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ColliganLands, Sep 7, 2008.

1. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

I have finally finished my contracts (with a bit of help from all the samples here)
    im looking to either PM or email them to anyone willing to help and make sure they are 100%
    im hoping to get everything all squared away by tonight so that tomorrow i can begint o sign contracts and start making some payup
    anyone interested - your help is greatly appreciated
    Thank you to everyone once again for all the help
    Kyle

2. ColliganLands

i figure ill attach it so that way it is easier for people to access

Attached Files:

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

That was smart :D

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Who's Steve? About the staking of the lot ,that's another big discussion on here If I was to have stakes I would do it myself. Why are the checks made out to you? Should they not be made out to the company? Do you have to charge sales tax?

5. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Not bad. Little busy and too much legaleze for my tastes. A couple observations....

2-12"? Interesting. Im 1.5 to 6 and 6.1 to 12. 2-12 may work or leave you vulnerable because your set price to plow 3 inches is gonna seem high.....overall it may average out and you hope thats all you ever get is 3 inch storms.....

Something that really really caught my eye was how clean and professional the bid looked, and how legitimate it all seemed and then you have ...in Bold no less, that checks are to be made out to you
    personally.

That may or may not bother your clients. It bothered me.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:we agree?
    3 pages of contract just to get my drive plowed:dizzy:
    seams excessive..

Your not legit?
    Why are the checks made out to you and not your company?

7. ColliganLands

that was a typo i have corrected it.. thanks for the input
    also for the price i wasnt sure i just assumed that it was my rate 35-65 per visit for any amount after my 2inch trigger unless it was a blizzard ill attach it fixed
    a note on the checks thing it just slipped my mind since i just got my business bank account it was easier to ahve them made out to me prior but i intended to have everything made out to the company
    thanks again for any and all help
    Kyle

Attached Files:

8. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I think theres too much legal stuff.......my maintenance contracts aren't even that long. JMO

9. ColliganLands

so just a couple questions reguarding what has been said by you guys
    1. reguarding the legal stuff - i was trying to cover everything possible, what do you recommend i remove or shorten?
    2. i guess im still confused on the price per push - i thought i would charge 35-65 per push(each time drive is plowed) at the 3inch trigger to 1foot of snow, then after 1 foot its a blizzard and then i would cahrge 35-65 times2(doubled) does that sound correct?
    thanks again for any help/comments/suggestions or input
    Kyle

10. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

looks pretty good. btw- who is cutting edge landscaping, inc.??

11. ColliganLands

that is a mistake also, what i did was took many of the sample contracts and used small bits of each one plus some of my own stuff and complied it into one contract. So in going back through i missed a few names. this is all why i put it up here to get second opinions and make sure i didnt miss anything.
    thanks once again for the help and for catching my mistakes
    Kyle

12. ColliganLands

that is a mistake also, what i did was took many of the sample contracts and used small bits of each one plus some of my own stuff and complied it into one contract. So in going back through i missed a few names. this is all why i put it up here to get second opinions and make sure i didnt miss anything.
    thanks once again for the help and for catching my mistakes
    Kyle

13. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

gotcha! best of luck this year!

14. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well, it looked ok.... heres my advise....

shorten some of the leagal stuff up, its great to have your but covered, but on resid. customers, theres not that much damage that can be done, to the landscaping. I would simply put, if the property isnt stacked im not resposible... and you must pay me to stack it...blah...blah

if this was going commercial , then id tell you to keep it

the way you have ot at the top , im not big on.... its hard to tell what charge is for what, uless you pay attention... your 2-12 make it look like your only charging me X no matter how many times it snows....but then you "pull a fast one" in the fine print...

i liked you used the "per trip" i think thats a great term and i might steal it from you.

heres what i do on my per trip - i call it a 2-4 program.... its a 2 inch min, and a 4 inch max... when the snow reaches four inches, i plow.... (i might do it sooner, but i make sure that a 5-6 inch storm gets plowed twice). i also make sure to note that if the snow fall rate is excesive with greater than 1 inch per hour, then the drive will be plowed as soon as possible, a may have a 4-7 charge on it , even thought it was plowed once.. its really hard to cover your self in every dirrection

you didnt really metion sidewalks , and shoveling , how close due you get to the garage door? if you did , i missed it... it need to be at the top, in bold.... very visible, this will be asked of you frequently

15. ColliganLands

ok so i should go with somewhere in 2- 6 inches this charge and one-two visits. then 7-12 this charge 2-3 visits and for over 12/ 1-2 inch snow per hour this charge and as many visits as necessary. then this price for sidewalk and shovel at end of storm. then get as close as possible with out dmaging property to the doors.
    ill add this in and post it revised
    thanks again
    Kyle

16. grandview

Sorry guys, maybe because when I plowed driveways mine were all seasonal .When it snowed and the 2-3 inch trigger was met I went out and stated plowing. I started at my 1st one and kept plowing. If I had to do the route 1 time or 4 times I kept plowing until every drive was cleaned out.

If your doing per push it's the same thing . Let's say you have 30 driveways. Start at the 1st one and start plowing and you go through the route and at # 19 it stops so from #19 to #30 they get plowed out once ,they get billed once and #1 through 18 get plowed twice and get billed for 2.

From what you Mass. guys say about snow it's always wet so I would want to wait to long to plow that stuff especially driveways.

As for a blizzard clause ,not sure because where were you while it was snowing the whole time?

Not sure if I make sense on the computer.

17. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

heres what i would say , others may tell you different...

i would price the side walks seperate.... their were lots of times, its easyier to do them while its snowing...then again theres times when im rushed and i do them at the end...

I have 3 price levels

1-3.99 , 4- 7.99 8 - 11.99 12 and up , is quated at the time of the storm...more than likely of the same nature as the others

i put most RES on what i call the 2-4 program, if its only going to snow 3.5 inches....i just wait till its all done snowing, they get charged a level 1

if its going to snow 5 or 6 inches... i plow them at 3-4 , and then when the strom is done... they are charged for QTY 2 --- level 1 cleanings ,

18. ColliganLands

ok heres the final draft i hope . i think ive taken all suggestions into consideration. grandview do you just charge one standard rate or different rate per amounts but still charge it more than once?
    at first it hought i would jsut go from 35-65 depending on drive and then charge whatever that number was per time i plowed during each storm based on my trigger amount

anyways heres the new contract
    thanks again for any help
    Kyle

Attached Files:

19. grandview

I don't do driveways any more. When I did it was seasonal contract Nov.1st to Apr. 30th it was unlimited plowing. No clauses for anything.

20. ColliganLands

ok, hopefully one day i wont do driveways either. but do you think once price and thats it or three different prices depending on amount. i always thought per push meant each time blade went down you pay that amount after the trigger is reached? am i right?
    thanks again
    Kyle