1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

finished making my backdrag

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by chevyzrule810, Jan 26, 2011.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I just finished making my backdrag today and it works great.Going to have some snow to really put it to the test.Here are some pictures of it.

1.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

2. Fatality

Fatality Senior Member

Looks great!!!

3. Carpenter98

Carpenter98 Member

Look very nice!

What did you use for the edge?

I guess it is only attached at each end?

Does it always hang down, dragging?

Sorry for all the questions, looks real nice though.

4. chevyzrule810

A piece of flat steel stock with two pieces welded to the sides and attached on the outside ribbs of the plow.It always hangs down but doesn't drag.When I drop the plow and start back dragging the edge goes under the spring plates and stops.When I drive foward it goes back toward the headgear hangs there

5. Carpenter98

Carpenter98 Member

I guess I'm not understanding. It looks like when plowing forward, it would be scraping on the ground.

6. chevyzrule810

that is a 1/2 piece of wood under the backdrag with the plow starting to go foward.When I backdrag it stays tight to the springs because its notched slightly but doesen't go under the springs like some guys do.

DSC01008.JPG

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Impressive work Chevy! That sure is a nice scrape. Thumbs Up

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah works awesome, I'd love one!

9. chevyzrule810

Thanks Repoman.Then make one or have somebody make you one

10. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

nice job I would rec you weld on a piece of flat stock on the back side lay it on its side so that it will ad support to the 1/2 stock so it will not bow it the middle

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats definitely an upgrade for next season. Would be a great help.

12. fx4plowin

fx4plowin Member

Nice scrape...and nice fab, what do you have about $40.00 in everything...love the scrape job man keep it up

13. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I would think that angle of backdragging would make it bounce quite a bit. Mine is made with straight angle iron coming off the ribs to give the backdrag the same basic angle of the front cutting edge, also resting at the base of the trip springs for added strength.

14. chevyzrule810

It was $94.00 for the steel and bolts.I'd like to see some pictures if possible yardmedic

15. Tedd

Tedd Member
    from CT

Chevy, how does notch allow edge to hit ground once going back? I see the space going forward but how does it change going back? Nice job you did, I would like to make my own so info would help. Maybe more pics? Thanks, Tedd

16. chevyzrule810

backdrag has a 1/2 of clearance between the road when plowing foward hence the 1/2 piece of wood under it.The notches are cut out of it so it will go under the spring plates and sits straight up and down when dragging.

17. YardMedic

here ya go

backdrag.jpg

18. chevyzrule810

Is that notched out to go under the spring plates?

19. Carpenter98

Carpenter98 Member

Chevy

In the side view pic with the 1/2" plywood piece, it looked to me like the front edge of the plow was off the ground too. Now I see how it sits. Nice work.

20. YardMedic

Nope! No cuts, no notches. Standard cutting edge with angle iron mounting. It rests on the base of the spring plates when dragging, maintaining that great angle.