1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fine rock salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Jay brown, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

looks like the next few loads of salt i'm getting are going to be fine grade....anybody use this? i had 2 loads of fine that i mixed with 2 loads of course and had mixed results with it... but i'm able to get this fine salt for $39.50/ton...what do you guys think of it?
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

works on snow , not on ice, or hard pack
  3. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

For $40 a ton send some up to wisconsin. As far as I know that you have to use more salt to do the same job.
  4. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

I bought a skid of this fine rock salt "Melt Away" by Town and Country. for $6.10 / 50lb bag. It has a brown color to it. Looks almost like it is mixed with sand but found out its imported from Chile. I loaded 12 bags into my Buyers Tailgate salter and the stuff wouldnt drop down. I had to have my son ride in the back, churning it like butter for it to fall down to the spinner. Im not sure if a vibrator would have worked. My next day out I alternated one bag of rock and one bag of fine. This worked out good. Cant wait to get rid of this stuff.
  5. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

The fine stuff has a greater surface area so it actually works faster than regular. It does disintegrate faster so it doesn't last as long as regular and isnt as effective if there is a thick hardpack or ice condition. The biggest problem I have had with it is that it drops out of the tailgate spreader about 10x faster than regular. There is a coarse grade, I get it at Menards, it comes in a blue bag that says "Extra Course Rock Salt", its labeled as for water softeners. THIS is the stuff to use on sidewalks. It's a little finer than regular bagged rock salt, but not as fine as the solar salt you are probably getting. This stuff is actually preferred by my sidewalk guys because its works fast, but does have some staying power. I have run it through the tailgate salter a few times with none of the dropping too fast problems I have had with the really fine stuff.
  6. john.melby@gmai

john.melby@gmai Junior Member

Add my 2 thumbs up on the Menards blue bag extra course salt. Spreads good and works fast. Also seems to break down quicker so it doesn't look as messy on parking lots and sidewalks.
  7. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Aaaarrrgh.... my SECRET is out !!!!! :realmad:
  8. drumbo

drumbo Member

We got a load like that, J. It wouldn't do nearly the work we wanted it to do. The pile was 20 tons and looked more like 10. We decided to pay more to get the larger rock salt as it would help with the ice and snow packs more.

We put down twice as much as normal for so-so results, at that.

Good luck!
  9. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

Fine works faster, but has no staying power.

It can run through the spreader fast or bridge up and be a PITA.

Depending on what you are paying for coarse rock, it may be a good buy.