1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fine for plow wider than truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lowell_Ma_Snow, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

I mentioned the idea of adding snow wings onto a 7.5 Fisher and a local snow plower said I'd get a $1000.00 fine by local police for the plow wider than the 2500 GMC truck. I'd ask before I made the investment in the wings only to find out later I'd be plowing through the next few storms to pay a fine.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's silly. How can guys carry 9.5 Vees then?
  3. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

get wings you can take off
  4. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I believe your friend to be misinformed. Call or go to your local PD and ask. Nothing to fear, unless you're wanted for something :laughing::gunsfiring:
  5. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

You don't see 9.5 Vees in this area. I have never seen a truck in my city with one on, in fact to see a Boss plow is rare too.

If it is true then when they bag me then it's too late......0 tolerance with the police here cause they're tired of the daily BS they have to go through so they have no patience nor compassion in this city.

The best way to find out, yes ask the local police dept. Hopefully I can ask an officer at the Lowell Mass police dept that's not having a crappy day to get an answer. I've dealt with some that have some pretty bad attitudes due to the stuff they have to deal with in this city everyday.
  6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

In MN the plow cant be over 10'. I think your buddy is very much missinformed. Cant imagine everyone is running around with 7.5" plows in your area
  7. disturban

disturban Junior Member

Even if the plow was wider than the truck you could tilt it...pull the drivers side in all the way and extend the passenger side out all the way. Now if you are behind your truck you should not see the plow sticking out the sides right?
  8. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

It could be true....I know in Ann Arbor there is a law that it can't stick out "x" amount past the width of the truck, but rarely enforced.
  9. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

True gives you the ability to not be so wide to hit anything left or right but if you have a back drag blade on you can't drive with an angled plow. The corner of the back drag hits ground specially if you turn corner. My plow has a backdrag blade.
  10. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

The truck came with the 7.5, not by my choice tho I'd rather have an 8 so figured I'd make up for lost width with wings. The norm preffered is 8 in the area.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

This may be a novel idea, but why don't you check the actual laws in your city\county\state to see what the legal width is. Not what some cop says they are, but what they really are written down as.

Everyone knows that if you ask 1 question of 3 DOT cops you will get at least 4 answers. And they will write a ticket for all 4.
  12. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

Man, so true.........lol
  13. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

I was going to say that at first, but tried to find it myself and felt kinda SOL. Closest I did find was this: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-19.htm

Doesn't mention plows specifically. Only vehicle and trailer widths not exceeding 102". Pretty much the standard, as far as I know. If there's a permit to go over this for plows/winter use only, I'll be damned if I could find it. They tend to make information hard to find here. Apparently, it's more lucrative to fine you, and then tell you what you should have done payup.

Back to the OPs question. I should have elaborated, but got lazy. There's no fricken way they could ticket you for having a plow wider than a 2500 GMC truck. The idea of a front-mounted plow is to have one that clears the snow in front of you. In a straight push, if your wheels are driving in unplowed snow, your plow is too small. A "standard" 8' plow on a 2500 GMC will be wider than the truck, even at full angle. Maybe not by much, but it will.
    If you put wings on your 7.5', it may be longer than 102" when straight, but travel width angled wouldn't exceed 102". Even so, take the wings off when traveling between accounts. You'll be happy you did, unless you have a tall truck. If not, the lower wing is going to bottom out over every bump in the road. It's a bit more mentally taxing to drive with a large plow hanging off the front; you need to be much more "precise" to stay in your lane, and oncoming traffic seems much closer. :eek:
    Just take the wings off on the roads, and no worries.
  14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you angle the plow it should be narrower then the truck anyway.
  15. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

Sounds like a stupid law to me, what about folks with trailers wider than the truck? etc...
    No doubt I could see a law that restricts the size of a plow to no wider than x amount due to the possibility of it taking up more than a lane size but I cant see one that restricts it to no wider than the truck.
  16. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

my gooseneck is 102 wide , next time ask if he's going to fine mass highway for running 8-9fers on there superdutys
  17. joelbouch

joelbouch Senior Member

idk if thats a town law but i have a 8ft plow with the extions on it when i owned my company in worcester noone botherd me at all not even dot so i say do it like at all the big rigs with the highway plows
  18. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Your friend hasn't a clue. Has nothing to due with width of truck, in NY its 8'-6", we got a ticket for being 9'-2", (8'6" Vplow with pro-wings, in V) it was DOT cop, average cop probably won't get out in the snow. Call DOT they'll know the width In NY the overwidth permit is $ 250, so's the fine for being without it. As was said take wings off your probably going to be OK, the measure width, so if your angled I would bet your under 8'6".
  19. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

you should be able to run till u need overwidth permits so how wide is a TT with mirrors that should be a safe measrement for legal width
  20. articstorm

articstorm Member

As far as I know, and I have talked to several people including the owners of a few plow shops. In Michigan you can go 8'6" or 102 inches wide.

I hear they have written tickets in the Jackson area for people going down the roads with their wideouts and v's extended. I have heard nothing about any tickets in the Kalamazoo area although I keep mine in on the road.

So in other words if I had a 7.5' plow I would only go another foot wider.