1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finding Work

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIKE 0, Jan 26, 2004.

1. MIKE 0

MIKE 0 Junior Member

GREENHORN LOOKING FOR WORK. I JUST INSTALLED A USED WESTERN ON A 2001 F-250 DIESEL. I'M THINKING ABOUT PLOWING DRIVEWAYS UNTIL I GET USED TO THINGS. I GUESS KNOCKING ON DOORS IS A GOOD START BUT IT SEEMS LIKE A DRAG TO DO SO. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Run a small ad in the local paper or shopper - "Snowplowing in the --- area" with your phone #". Put up something similar with pull-off tabs at the local convenience store. That'll do for a start.

3. computerguy

computerguy Member

What I did

I bought a sign for my lawn. Put some magnetic signs on the truck and phone started ringing. I now have a bunch of driveways and 20+ parking lot.
    I would not pick up too much more right now. I would do some subbing though. I haven't had the chance to talk to anyone about doing some subcontracting.

4. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

HI, I just move to new city..

I only have find little work yet looking for BIG WORK.
    best to start is print your own business cards and go to office store look for the big post that you can stuck it on your truck with your name and snow removal and phone.. that what I am starting. even if I see a lady at end of drive way I just push that snow away from her drive way and stop give her a card!

it's just like planting a seed and let it grow (watering is like posting sign and give out business card)..

maybe do a web page like mine.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Different things work for different people and different situations. The first year I did as Snow Jaw said of driving around and stopping to help people by pushing the ends of driveways and mailboxes. Total waste of gas and time. In four years, I have never gotten any business or referrals from any of the people I helped then.

So, I'd say try everything. Then next winter you'll have a better idea of what works

6. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

I get customers from customers. This last storm yielded 4 more. I would like more though. I hate the feeling of getting done in a couple hours = below potential. :realmad:

-John :cool:

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you drive around while people are digging themselves out

8. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

Mick, yeah you could say that.. I have seen that coming when I first done snow removal with a loader tractor and lawn tractor w/ snow blower.. long before I got plow on pick up.. in my small town I give a little help around as all those that knew me were older so some of them end up calling me later on to do their drive ways..

this lady I did was near my house so she knows where I live and saw the plow truck parking outside every day.. so I just give one push to let them getting to know me.. maybe later she will want me to do her drive way even if it's too cold for them to go out.

it's a friendship warm up as I just moved in new town..

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Get the phone book out and call snow removal companies. Tell them you would like to work as a subcontractor. Alot will have all kinds of work for you. Learn to plow well and then go out on your own after you learn the tricks. Read all you can on this site, we all learn no matter how long we have pushed snow.