1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finding Used Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ilhmt, Aug 15, 2003.

1. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Hello everybody. This is my first post after "lurking" for several months. I live in Central Illinois in a rural area. I sold my last truck that had a snowplow attached and recently bought a "95 Dodge 1500 4x4 that I have yet to purchase a plow for. The extent of my plowing is doing my own and my neighbors' driveways, and a few others in town. And if I happen to drive by someone who is struggling to shovel out their driveway, I will usually stop and spend a couple of minutes knocking it out for them. I have never charged anybody for doing that. I just enjoy being a good neighbor. Now for my question.
    Since I don't use a snowplow to make money, and my current truck is 8 years old, I don't want to invest the amount of money a new plow would cost. So I have been looking for a used set up. The "Used Plow" section in this forum is pretty lacking in posts and merchandise so I need to look elsewhere. Can anybody post links that I could follow that would have a good supply of used plows in Illinois or even the surrounding states? Thanks!!

Don

2. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Don, Check with John, Garagekeeper49 he may be in your area and may be able to help ya out, being a dealer.

3. penberth

penberth Member

Check out newspapers / swapsheets.

I would watch the local newspaper / swapsheet for plows. I ended up getting a newer used Meyer poly 6.6' plow for my Jeep Cherokee for $800. The guy had it on a leased Cherokee that he turned in...and just wanted to unload it.

Also, keep an eye on eBay, they always have 7.5 - 8.0 plows on there.

You may have to wait another month or so as people kind of forget about plows in the summer...but just before fall, they all start appearing in the papers / eBay, etc.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

Now isn't really the time of year,but they local papers,classified or e-bay like mentioned above,would be a good place to start.

Also check with some new plow dealers as they tend to take trade ins,or may know of a good used plow for sale.

5. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Welcome,

Ditto to what wldyman said. Check with your local new plow dealers. Also check the local car dealers sometimes they take the plows off of used trucks and they just sit there.

Rick

6. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'll just have to be a bit more patient, I guess.

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Hey buddy, welcome to Plowsite!

If you get the chance, call Harry down at Koenig Body (673-7435) Tell him you heard about the guy selling the meyer 7.5' plow.

I was just there today, he was telling me about some 'drunk' that was trying to sell his plow, new last season, for like $1000. Harry hadn't seen him in about a week, so he wasn't suer if he still had it, but thats a good place to start. If nothing else, maybe he can take your name and number down, so when someone comes in with something used, they can call you. Good luck.

Where abouts are you located in Central IL?

8. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Thanks for the Koenig info. I was in there a couple of weeks ago and told the salesman to keep me in mind should he come across a used plow. I live in Canton, by the way. Where abouts do you live? My e-mail address is

digor@aol.com

Drop me an e-mail if you like...

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Greg, the skinny bearded guy that always has a cig in his mouth, is a really nice guy too.

I'm in Peoria, right by Richwoods High School actually. I know a few people that live and work in Canton, I'll have to look you up sometime if I get that way, or the same for you. I'm jwu91@yahoo.com

-John

10. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I have a 7.5 Uni-Mount Pro-Plow recently listed in the Used Plow forum. I live in MN, but my in-laws are in SW MI, so I regularly make the trip through chicago. It's got some new stuff on it- the details are in the other forum. I'll probably let the control box go with it, too- I" think I'm getting a different brand for my new truck.

email me

derek@glassingflorist.com