1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finding spare wiring connector for other uses...

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by OceanTrvlr, Dec 3, 2007.

1. I know we're getting into plowing season and all, but I've always wondered about hooking up a winch to the plow mount for the summer. It shouldn't be all too difficult to get a second connector from Meyer and to wire it up to a winch so that I could use the plow controller to control a winch. Right? Has anyone done this?

My mind is wondering since I didn't even need to hitch up the plow for this 1/4 inch of slush we got this morning here in MA. :cry:
  2. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

I don't really think the leads from the battery are a heavy enough gauge wiring to handle the amp draw of a winch.
  3. Hmm, didn't think that would be an issue considering that the wiring is heavy enough (4g) to run a hydraulic pump which picks up an 800 pound plow.
  4. Kennedy81

Kennedy81 Senior Member

The wires on my 9500lb WARN winch on my Jeep are nearly twice the thickness of that going to my E60.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Making a mount for the winch to fit the plow mount is easy and can work very well, especially on an EZ Classic style mount, but the wiring is a whole different matter.. You need to run 2 dedicated battery cables with a quick disconnect strictly for the winch, the plow cables and connector won't do the job as they're just too small (most are 6 gage) and you can't run the winch power through the plows under hood solenoid anyway as it's not designed to carry the current draw of a decent sized winch either. Most plow motors draw a max current of about 200-250 amp. An 8000 lb or bigger winch will draw a minimum of twice that. The plow cables and solenoid just won't carry that kind of current..

As to using the plow controller to operate the winch, it can be done but you need an extra dedicated harness with a few relays that you'd have to plug the controller into to make the functions correct...

If you just use the plow mount to mount the winch, and run the extra dedicated battery harness, and use the actual controller that comes with the winch then these set up work well and are very convenient... I know, as I've built several of them for guys..
  6. Ah, I understand much better now. I didn't realize that winch wiring was so heavy. Good thing I asked the question before trying to fab up my own connector to the plow harness.

Glad I found this site!