1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finding snow totals

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Dec 18, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone have any good web sites to go to to find out total snow amounts after a storm?
  2. butters

butters Member

Try this site and check out the Cooperative Observer Data section. This is from the NWS. Looks like you are about to get some snow!
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

did you try noaa weather site
  4. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of using one of these local sites for snow total for billing but after reading many threads that idea sounds bad due to snow totals differentiating between residences. I guess I will just measure everytime Im there.

I currently use the per push method to price but was thinking with big storms customers may complain about plowing with the storm and not just one push for the total storm. I thought maybe the per inch pricing may be better as they are billed for the amount of snow accumilated in a 24 hr period and they can not complain for however many visits the job may take.

It does state in my contract that multiple visits may be needed during an active storm to keep the surface clear of snow. But we all know how people are never satisfied and will complain about anything these days.

What do most of you guys do for situations when large snow amounts are forecasted. I figured start plowing at my trigger (2") unless its in the middle of the night then I may let it go a little longer, and then plow in the morning to clear the snow for the customer to leave for wherever and then as needed depending on snow totals?

Could use some advise here guys. Thanks
  5. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I do residentials when snow is almost stopped unless it's real heavy or it's snowing during the evening rush. Have pushed 12-18" in single passes before. As far as commercials, we do a Marriot and a large Mall, in which I personly start when there is enough to plow and if there is traffic.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you go to sight, put in your zip code so you can bring up your areas page.
    Scroll down during snow storms, totals should be there.