1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

finding snow fall totals..

Discussion in 'Weather' started by hotshot4819, Dec 17, 2007.

1. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

hey guys, im having trouble finding snow fall accumalations for storms. it would make my life alot easier for billing. is there any sites that list everything?
  2. crabbybob

crabbybob Junior Member
    from 01440

I can get mine from the weather page of a local TV news station. I'm in central Mass and use WCVB in Boston. I don't how official it is though. Their measurement for Dec 16th was less than 7" but it looked to me like we got over 8". I checked NOAA and didn't find anything.
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

4. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

how come you need it for billing? Aren't you charging them for each time you are there? Or do you charge per inch no matter how many times you make a pass?

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I agree... I don't know how a client is supposed to keep track of the "inches" of snow that his lot has recieved during a storm...that's why I questioned this on another thread and I asked "if you charge by the inch...it can be a very random thing and very questionable when the bean counter is going over your invoice..."

JPMAKO Senior Member

I charge per inch in different increments like 2"-6" 6"-12" and 12+
    Gather your information from various sites and search the internet for snow totals.
    I get the totals from NWS and the Rutgers office of climatology.

What ever works best for your business and makes the most $$$ are the main factors in how you should be charging clients.

7. hotshot4819

hotshot4819 Senior Member

mowbiz. all my clients are commercial accounts. dunkin donuts (2), burger kings(3) monroe muffler. then i have my walmart and 2 condos and 1 dollar store which are monthly contracts.
    my per storm customers are in incriment like 0-2 $xxx 3-6 $xx i just need to find an accurate place i can rely on to get totals to bill the per storm customers.
  8. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

When charging by inches what do you do about drifts. The medical centre I plow is all drifts. Some nights when its blowing out of the west but not snowing we have to plow it. I'm talking 3-5ft drifts halfway across the parking lot. We also plow driveways in the country. 1 inch can turn into a ft fast with the right wind.