1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finding Owner Ops

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hambrick & Co., Jul 21, 2008.

1. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

What is the best way to find owner ops? I have been plowing for 8 years now, and this will be my second season on my own with my own legit company. None of my friends have plows for their trucks and dont seem that intrested in getting one so I figured hiring a reliable owner op would be a good option as I would like to expand this season. Let me know you thoughts and what has and has not worked for you. Thanks Mike

2. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

BUY ANOTHER TRUCK YOURSELF AND HIRE SOMEONE FOR $25 AN HR.:nod:THATS HOW I GOT MY COMPANY GOIN....GOOD LUCK :drinkup:

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You mean a "SUB"
    You need to hire a subcontractor.

Open the phone book.
    Start calling contractors.
    There owner/ operators..

But be careful.
    When your customers start seeing a truck with a different business listed on the door they will start to call them and not you.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Watch for trucks with plows or mounts on them and ask who they plow for. A quick way to find a sub.

5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Post an ad here on Plowsite........

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Around here they believe it or not post in the "Employment" classifieds. They run ads in the "Tire & Parts" too ,like we would need parts?

7. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

You can always post an ad on Craigslist. Just be careful, check their insurance as well as references. As SnoFarmer said, just watch out, as customers might start calling them, or your sub might try poaching your accts next season!

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Another tip is don't have just one sub. Try to split the work between 2 or more. This way if one is unavailable or the truck is out of service you have people to do the work. I have worked big events where it ended up being me and the contractor doing the work of 5 trucks.Because the other 3 had broke down or were unavailable.
    As you grow your company consider having a backup truck you can use or put to work. Stock some extra parts like hoses, pump relays, springs and pins. That way you can keep the fleet in service during the event.

9. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i am glad to hear that youre buisness is growing and i hope that you need 30 sub's but untill then i would (if financially possible) buy another truck, even if it's just an old beater.

PJ

10. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Craigs list is awesome. MAKE SURE they provide you with a certificate of insurance with you listed on it, that way if their policy expires or is canceled the insurance company notifies you directly. Make them sign a "no compete" agreement, and buy some magnetic signs with your company info and number on them, require them to display them on their vehicles while plowing.