1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finding Labor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pasto_guy, Oct 4, 2015.

1. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

I only have 10 guys that I use for my landscaping business. However for snow removal I need about 25 guys. Where and how are you guys finding employees for snow only events. Also what are your going wages, I know it depends on location and type of work they are doing. I have the ability to add accounts but I'm a little nervous to do so with the lack of labor force that I currently have

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

What do you need the extra guys for????? Sidewalk crew, equipment operator, plow truck driver? I see a lot of ads on Craigslist here, And I also don't know what the going rate is in your area, but the rate around here is about 20.00 to 25.00 an hour for sidewalk crews, and 25.00-35.00 for plow truck and equipment operators. Some offer year end bonuses for attendance.

3. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Ad on Craigslist is the easiest way and cheapest.
    Do it now and get a list of guys willing to work and get more than 10 because you know not everyone is going to show up to shovel snow at 2am in the morning.

4. pasto_guy

pasto_guy Member

I need extra employees for equipment operators and for sidewalk crews. I guess I need to up my pay because in the past I have been at 20 for operators and 15 for sidewalk labor. At the same time I have been unsuccessful in finding a lot of reliable employees. I guess money talks. Thanks for the idea of a bonus for attendance.

5. yardlines

yardlines Junior Member

I now feel like a horrible person. I usually pay the 2 guys that shovel 10 and hour. That's what the make on the now crew in the summer.

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

As I stated above, those are rates in our area, don't know what your area pays. Check competitors ads on Craigslist in your area to see what the going rate is.

7. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

I pay 15 and 25 that's pretty typical here

8. icebreaker

icebreaker Member

As a rule of thumb I have always paid my sidewalk guys more than plowing guys

9. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Wow you need 15 more guys yet. You should network with local, escavating companies and masonry contractors etc. Even other seasonal guys have to have guys on there crew that they lay off for the winter that are looking for extra money. Maybe even target earlier retired men. Some of the older guys might be looking for alittle something to do and some extra money. And those guys are dependable. Good luck.

10. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Employees that works for you in the summer should get the same pay in the winter. I think that is a fair wage in our area.

11. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Wow, that's amazing. I don't know what rates are on the east coast but I would imagine there higher than here in the midwest. I was paying that to my shovel guys in 1998.

12. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

X2 for excavation companies, try any seasonal places that hire operators. I pay 15-25, high in my area, but I don't have a shortage of help. I also try to hire operators, more productive and less issues generally.

13. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

You sir are a hero. Ive seen companies that I have worked for recognize that sidewalk guys have it rough, but never seen anyone pay them more. Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up:drinkup:

14. f150skidoo

f150skidoo Member

The one year i did shoveling sidewalks i got paid $150 per week stand buy then $20 per hour on top of the standby when we went out.

15. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Do you have troubles when you move a side walk guy up to drive a truck and they get paid less? I agree they have it way worse and think it's a good idea just wondering how that would work?

16. Bigdog4342

Bigdog4342 Junior Member

Anyone have apprehensions about putting people you don't know well into your trucks?

17. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I hate having anyone I don't know well in my trucks, but sometimes you have to do it. NO ONE takes as good a care of your truck as you do - no one!

18. straightlinelan

straightlinelan Member

We require all drivers to go out with one of our experienced drivers for at least 1 shift before turning them loose. Doesn't matter if they say they have experience or not, cause everyone Dan snow plow, right? Trucks costing upwards of $45,000 to $65,000 for a plow truck, you can't just let guys go.

19. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

In snow your sidewalk crew is always harder to keep happy. I have sidewalk machines which you need a good operator also. They work hard and have to do the detail they don't sit in the warm cab all the time. Not to mention changing shear pin's sometimes. $20 to $25 per hr easy.

20. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

They have to go with one of your plow guys or yourself before turned loose with your equipment. What they all know is the snow has to be plowed off the pavement. Where to put if safely without having to move it they have no idea.

How about not even knowing how to angle the blade, No knowledge to stack with truck and take up 3 parking spots. How about plowing close to existing cars and can't get close enough or bash into something because he was to stupid to stick his head out the window and watch the blade.

Snow plowing is just like anything else. If you don't have the time and experience wisdom you are not a plow man.