1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finding help is near impossible....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We are finally to the point where we need to hire some help. We run an add, get some responses, had some guys fill out apps. We call a few back and the one guy I was going to make my crew leader, he has 7 years experience, newer 3/4 ton Chevy with 8ft Fisher etc. and he is available 24/7 (he owns his ow const. company) well I wanted to met him again to go over a few things like letting him know what I expect etc. so we agree on a time, he shows up with his wife and kids on his way to another thing they had going on. I said well call me when your done, he said ok then we'll go over those things, never calls :realmad: I dont get these guys, I am paying well, I dont get it!

2. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

sorry to here that man .i'd offer my services if i didn't live on other side of the state.

3. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

...Or 1/3 of the way across the country like me.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I know what you mean. Some of the kids we hire are just so lazy! It's just so hard to wash your ambulance and clean it a little. They would rather wear small gloves then walk 50 feet to the store room and get a box of larges!
    They don't want to work nights or weekends. They think the City shuts down at 5 or something.

5. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

people are great, arent they? I run a small contracting company, and do various jobs, throughout the year, as well as snowplowing. I had a guy working for me. 21 years old. was a pretty good kid, knew his job well, and as such, he was making 17.00 per hour. not bad for 21 years old. He calls me 3 days in a row with lame excuses as to why he cant work.

Apparantly he had enough beer money to last a while.

Hope he has enough to pay bills too!!!!
    good luck finding help.

6. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I Got One

I just finished retrofitting an old piece of crap trailer I bought for my little skid steer. Took three or four days. I went over everything. Fabricated Steel rails, some adjustable jacks on the back so I don't lift the back end of my truck off the ground, and a whole new hitch. I cut off the old one and made a completely new one. Moved the tail lights up so they don't catch on any curbs or other stuff. Anyway It looked great. I have only used it a couple of times.
    Friday I let one of my guys borrow one of my trucks and the trailer to move. He brings it back on Monday and the tounge is bent to .............. .
    So I call him and ask him what happened. "It was like that when I picked it up." So I go and look at the truck, sure enough the damage to the truck matches up the the damage on the trailer.
    So then I call him to see where he is. He is one his way to move more of his junk with my truck. NO WAY IDIOT!
    I made him come to the house with the truck and hook up the trailer to prove that he damaged the thing. So he comes to the conclussion that he must have done it, he just cannot remember when or how.
    As my dad use to say, "Why don't you just piss in my ear and try to tell me it's raining."

It does not bother me that he damaged it, I know I can be hard on equipment, and accidents happen, but don't lie to me.

I told him he is either an Idiot or Oblivious. I let him know he will not be getting behind the wheel of one of my plow trucks. He could side swip a car and never even know it. What a dummy!!!

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

When you finally find someone really good that you can depend on and then they give you their two week notice. PITA

8. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I was and still am having the finding help problem (Notice I didn't say good help)

I ran an add looking for Laborers/Operator. Everyone that called evidentaly couldn't read and when they found out that the position had labor involved they didn't want to talk any more. Or I get the guys that had thier own family business FAIL and want to come and be management of mine.

Now I will admit that when I was working for other companys (Before I started my own) I was a typical operator not a laborer. But that why I was hired TO OPERATE. But if I did have to do something else labor wise I would ***** about it, but I would still do it. I just can't get over these job seekers that think employers have to give them the freaking world and they just have to sit there, do as little as possible and still get paid on friday.

Just another Peterbilt rant.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2007
  9. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Had one of my workers drive my diesel and trailer to another town. We were already there working. He got there. I told him what to do and that me and my other worker were going to lunch. We get in the diesel and less than 1/2 mile away it dies. I cost to a stop and put in a gallon of diesel I had in the back. It finally starts and we go and fill it up. At the end of the day I ask him if there was any thing wrong with the trucks performance. "Oh yea, I ran out of gas coming here." I told him "Why in the **** didn't you tell me. We ran out going to lunch." "I guess I forgot."

I was asked to bid an apartment complex, but can't do it because I don't have anyone I trust to do it. Too short of notice to hire someone and buy a truck. To bad, because I think the money would have been good.

Good luck finding someone. Try the first guy again. Maybe something came up and he got sidetracked.

10. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Why not splurge for a working fuel gauge instead of relying on your employees to inform you when they run out of gas?

11. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Good help is very hard to find here too.

We had a guy that had "plowed before" he was 52 years old. He was plowing one day and ran the side of the bed into a yellow cement pole in the parking lot. I asked him how did he manage that. He claimed it wasn't he fault that the truck was spinning pushing the snow and the rear kicked out/fished tailed into the pole. The snow wasn't very deep at all that day. I asked him if he had it in 4WD and he said yeah. I look and the lever was in 4x4 but he didn't lock the hubs in.

I never would have thought I needed to specify to a 52 yr old guy about lock in hubs. Guess I was wrong.

12. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

he has his own construction company. his own truck. plow. maybe he has more than one truck and plow. he probably had no interest in going over "WHAT YOU EXPECT".
    from what ive seen the good ones in construction/landscaping/snow removal dont need help they write their own ticket.

the majority of the otherones arent worth as much they do what they do because the couldnt hold a regular dayjob without being fired. you can get them to show up for work most of the time though. lol

13. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've been trying since June to get someone to sub out a plowing account from me.

It's an industrial place that takes me just under an hour for a 2-4" event, and I charge $100 for it.

I've told people I'd pay between $100 and $150 (I get paid VERY good for the mowing, so I don't want to give up the plowing) for them to plow it for me, but no one even calls me back.

I've talked to 12 different people, whether other contractors, people I know with plows, people that are already subs to other contractors, people that were THINKING about buying a plow..... nothing.

I don't understand where guys don't want to work for $100 / hour???? Even if you already have a route, or if you don't. Get up at 5 am, plow this lot before you go to your regular job and make the $100??? I don't understand.....

It's wide open, no curbs to the west or north, so you just push straight and wing to the right.

14. bribrius

i dont know what the prices are where you live. but here i could get more. figure wear and tear, GAS, driving over there............out of the hundred i might make thirty. for thirty i can plow a driveway in five minutes. jmo.

15. LwnmwrMan22

You have no point.

Do you not have to drive to your driveway to plow??

Do you not have gas to drive there??

Do you not have wear and tear to work for an hour, whether it's plowing drives or a commercial property??

If you're saying it costs you $70 to work for 1 hour, then you have some absolute junk.

Besides that, if you get 5-6 driveways to do in that hour, do you still not have the $70 in expenses??

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  16. bribrius

MY POINT IS. they arent really making a hundred dollars a hour. and you say it only takes that one hour. depending on who you ask, how far from this lot they are, how much of their schedule it might take up and when, what they drive and it costs to upkeep it. IT MAY NOT BE WORTH GOING THERE. i wouldnt drive somewhere and plow for a hour when im only going to net thirty or fifty bucks. i wont even leave my house to make thirty bucks.
    you would have better luck if the lot was a four hour job.

17. LwnmwrMan22

I realize that... I've been talking to guys that are currently driving 30 miles to sub for $50 / hour. I've talked to guys that plow the lots to the north and the guys that plow the lot on the south.

I've talked to guys that have plows that plow their own drive, with no route.

Everyone that I've talked to is already within 1 mile of this location, or drives past it.

I realize that in that hour a person could do 4-5-6-7 driveways depending on the route, but here's a chance to gross "3" drives with one location, with one invoice to send out.

Again, with reading on here and talking to other guys in my area, there's many guys out there that would be happy to get $100 / hour.

18. bribrius

you would think. and if they were driving by anyway...
    me, i would opt to hit seven or more driveways in a subdevelopment in that hour. 25 a piece. 175 dollars. out of that i would take home the hundred.
    i dont think figuring seventy bucks a hour expenses as unreasonable. trucks arent cheap. plows arent cheap. insurance isnt cheap. taxes arent cheap. none of its cheap. and it cost me a hundred to fill the tank. i think some guys out there are working for free and dont even know it. "i made a grand already this year but then i blew out the tranny" kind of thing. (get a clue eh)
    if they are subing for fifty dollars a hour and using there own equipment and paying their own expenses while driving thirty miles to get there i think they could get a job at mcdonalds and make more. unless the job is for many hours and not just one or two hours. cant really blame them though winter is hard for many they are hungry.
    good luck with your hunt for a sub. i would do it for the 150 or so but im no where near your neighborhood.

19. LwnmwrMan22

I've even offered it to guys for a guaranteed $2000 (usually get 15-18 events / year here, last 3 years had 12, 7, and 16 times respectifully) but no one bit at that.

It's getting to the point where I'm going to buy a 3rd truck and put a guy in it for $25-35 / hour.

20. bribrius

i already have a backup/sub. im also having my girlfriend help with plowing this year and she agreed. get your wife to plow. eight more years ill have my daughter plowing too.

lol.

putting someone in YOUR truck for thrity five bucks would be a definate idea. probably get a taker too.