1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finding Employees

Discussion in 'Employment' started by YardMedic, Mar 3, 2014.

1. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Good morning everyone! I have a question for the guys who do the hiring for their companies. Where do you typically find employees? What seems to work best? I'm taking someone on full time for my year-round maintenance business and it's new territory for me. Ideas and tips are all appreciated. Thanks!

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Well get ready for disappointment after disappointment. Sorry to be so negative but its kind of the truth. Stick an ad in the paper, sit them down and get a feel for them. Im just telling ya even the "guys who love doing this" or have "done this for years" can be,.....well, lets just say a waste of time. Good luck.
  3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Agree, the problem we found is the good landscaping guys aren't very good at plowing.

The best thing is ask around, we've even signed up for a Co-Op program through a local high school for kids who are interested in working outside. They have early release during school and work full time during the summer months/during storms shoveling.

Good help is hard to find great help is almost impossible, good luck :salute:
  4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Word of mouth, ask your existing guys, typically guys dont want to recommend a buddy thats going to suck. Also, Craigslist. Weed through enough applicants you'll find a couple good ones. I think the key is to start early in the off season good ones already are working somewhere by the time the season starts. We found 3 new guys this year from craigslist out of at least 20 that applied.
  5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Thank you for the quick responses. I am starting early with this, but it is my first jump into having anyone under me.
  6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

make sure they know its done only your way, and not to change unless they consult with you first,....they can have lots of ideas on a better way but need to understand you do things a certain way for the end result
  7. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Also, if and when you find great help that has proven to you over a couple year period that they have your best interests in mind and are in it for the long haul don't be stingy. You don't have to get rich off them, especially since good employees can usually manage a few employees underneith them and this is where you make your money!