1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finding Customers?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TPS Alberta, Oct 18, 2011.

1. TPS Alberta

TPS Alberta Member

Hey guys, how are you finding your commercial customers? We are advertising on a local website and have done some advertising in the papers but are finding that to be a waste of money. Do you approach each location individually or how do you go about finding new clients?

We have done website, online advertising, advertising in newspapers, etc.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Just start sending out bids to places and do a follow phone call a couple of days later.

you do not find out if they are accepting bids first ?

Find a lot measure and send in the bid to the property manager?

Hmmm rainy day here seems like something for me to do today .
  4. chrissheerman

chrissheerman Junior Member

I hope no one minds me asking but i've found the same problem where I live for residential plowing jobs i've used the paper but that is just a waste of my money for plowing or work for my tractor. I'm small and just doing this work on the side maybe thats part of the problem. I tried mailing mailing letters with estimates to a bunch of houses last year just took a day and drove around looking at places estimating a price for each address and sent them a letter asking if they had interest in have me plow there drive. anyways is there any good tips for getting some driveways to plow. Right now i'm just word of mouth and only have a couple places to plow this year anyone have any ideas on how to get 10 to 20 drives for this year??
  5. grandview

No I just send in bids and go from there. I do drive by estimates.
  6. chrissheerman

So do you just send a seasonal bid a per event bid both and give them the choice?? Also do you find it best to label the letter attention maintenance purchasing or management
  7. grandview

Seasonal bids only. I write on the front of the envelope "snowplowing bid"
  8. Kwing1120

Kwing1120 Member

grandview how successful is that? what percentage do you think you get?
  9. grandview

Well 10 years ago I did and I still have half of them. I get calls from them and they ask questions so I might get 1 or 2 or I get some summer work out of it. I keep sending them to the same places every year because you don't know if the last guy quit or not.
  10. Robbie Rooster

Robbie Rooster Member

I don't know that there is a quick or easy way to get business. I am listed in the local phone books and get plenty of calls. I would also recomend becoming a member of your local chamber of commerce. These and the business name on the trucks are the only advertising I do. I've done flyers, bulitin boards, papers also. They are no good.
  11. chrissheerman

Thanks for the info to everyone that answered my questions.
  12. olesnowpatrol

olesnowpatrol Member

Just did 100 flyers in mailboxes yesterday and got 2 contracts. Only need 8 more to hit my first year "side job" goal. I did sales door to door to put myself through college and can tell you it's all a numbers game.
  13. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

You go out for breakfast? Talk to the owner about snow removal....Leave your card. You stop for auto parts? Talk to the owner about snow removal....Leave your card. You go to the hardware store.....Talk and leave your card. Talk to everybody you know. Post it on your facebook. Even if people say no, they may refer you to someone else that may need a plow guy. You should talk to so many people that you get sick of hearing yourself talk about it.
  14. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

The biggest help to me was being in the local VFD. Tons of local contacts and aside from getting the contract to plow the fire house, having the VFD mini plate and a blue light on the truck ads a bit of credibility when talking to locals. That's all the word of mouth I needed to get going.
  15. Ryank

Ryank Senior Member

hmm the local papers around me work wonders, my buddy has 55 driveways a church and a car wash, all through the local papers and word of mouth. he also had 70 lawns he cut weekly with 1 guy mowing and 1 guy trimming.
  16. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

post cards are cheap and easy. Get 500 and put them on windsheilds at your local malls and various lots. you'll burn through 500 without missing lunch.
  17. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Try Vistaprint.com I love that place, lots of free advertising help.