1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finding Commercial Accounts

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Diesel Dan, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I've been subbing commercially for 3 years now, insured, LLC and know what I'm doing.

My question pertains to finding commercial accounts of my own. It seems I'm plowing a crap ton of snow and making breakfast and gas money. Residential work is pretty weak around here. Most home owners drive a half ton 4x4 or know an friendly old guy who does it for free.

I keep hearing to avoid NSP's like the plague. Even the guy I work for says that.

How do I find out who wants a bid?

:help:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Property records search, cold calls, letters, advertising, or if all else fails a walk in handshake does wonders.

3. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Look for jobs not being taken care of. But stay away from mine :) .

As said cold calls work !

Stay away from nationals IMO, you are a sub to them.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You can't be that bad off. You know what it cost to go out for breakfast and fill up the truck? If your looking for new accounts ,stay away from chains,need to go to single locations. Local banks are good ,stat now looking at lots to see how they looked plowed and stray away from the ones that look like a bomb hit them and stay away from busy streets ,those are time killers. I would still try for driveways put hte fear of the next big one!

5. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

The first year I started plowing, I just walked into any place that had a lot the size I wanted to plow and asked if they had anyone set up to do their plowing for the upcoming season, if not, I offered a price. I was in the yellow pages already for my lawn care business, so when it came time to renew, I had them add me to the snow removal section. The accounts I didn't get by cold calling/showing up in person, I got from them calling me either by finding me in the phone book or being referred by a current customer.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have a salter but I could sub that out to the guy down the road I suppose.

7. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I would sub out plowing before I subbed out Salting.....Heres something to think about...How many Pushes have you had in your area this year?....How many saltings have occurred in your area this year?

8. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

If you want to get into plowing Commercial accounts......Find the capital and get youself a salter.....You will be leaving a lot of money on the table....:nod:

9. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Actually as mentioned I would go after salting first. Maybe contract out to smaller companies who only plow.

Buy a rake !! You will need it for all the money you will be making.

Find a salt supplier now for next season. I know many who were paying over $ 100.00 / ton with of my buddies paying 135. I got mine locked in early for 95.00 , Cheapest I heard was 75.00.

I know where there is a V box stainless steel for 800 right now

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015