1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Find the right size truck and plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by roachy, Oct 14, 2010.

1. roachy

roachy Member
    from NJ

I have a 6ft or 6.6'' meyers plow and am looking for a truck right now to plow driveways for my neighbors. Would a F250 or Dodge ram 2500 be too big for this size plow. Im sure a bigger plow would be more ideal but would this still work. If not should I consider getting a F150 or 1500 ram instead. Also if I do buy a larger size truck what do you guys think it would cost me to buy a used plow and have it mounted. Yes I am new to plowing but everyone has to start somewhere. Im not going to go out and do a bunch of commercial drives so dont shoot me down too bad :gunsfiring:

2. BigDBoots

BigDBoots Senior Member

3. roachy

roachy Member
    from NJ

Ive never thought about a wrangler even though ive always been a big fan of them. WOuld a wrangler be able to handle say plowing a foot and a half of snow. Usually we get about 6in at a time though. Is this really capable of plowing as well as a truck. I just feel like the plow would weigh half as much as the vehicle. Thanks for the input

4. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Or a toyota pickup, Ranger, S10, Suzuki Samari,subaru outback, Oh wait, not the last two.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A Ranger
    what about insurance????

6. roachy

roachy Member
    from NJ

I just think a ranger or S10 are all too small to be plowing and id much rather get a bigger pickup. BigDBoots has me thinking about a wrangler now. More input would be appreciated. Do you guys recommend getting insured for plowing a handful of residentual homes? If so how much does would that normally cost.