1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally some plowable snow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by breadoflife, Nov 24, 2009.

1. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

Getting kinda excited about tomorrow, they are talking snow al least from noon through over night, and with our first contract, i am looking to get our first invoice out of this storm... they are also talking about 26MPH gusts, as of this morning. so when i found out we are going to go visit there anyways during the snowfall, im bringin the truck...and my ruler because when and if this hits our 2" trigger, i wann be on top of it.
  2. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

i really don't think it will get to 2" this storm because the ground is not cold enough yet butt there talking Monday snow to so it should be cold enough by then
  3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

still think ground temps are too high for snow to stick
  4. overtime

overtime Senior Member

Around here they are still in mid to late 40s
  5. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Never count your chickens until the eggs are hatched. Here I thought you already had a plowable event.
  6. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

I'm still digging in the back yard with a shovel. It is tough to get snow to stick on pavement when it is this far above freezing I have a ground temp still well into the 40's It is wet soil so it will freezes fast and cool but that is still a long way to drop.

Remember when the weatherman says 2 inches he means on the grass or the picnic table this time of year. When he says 1 to 2 inches he means 1. When he says drifting he means on the edge of a clear lot.

All the same, be ready with both salt and plows.

One other thing you want to be a little careful of with a church and a holiday storm. is the predictions through the weekend of 40's meaning mother nature will do a great job on the lot. My advise is to touch base later today or early Wednesday and see what they want.

Sometimes good will is talking to who ever is in charge and saying I can plow however we can let it melt. Giving is down, everyone is hurting. Sometimes plowing water and melting slush is a mistake.

Yes it is your right to plow based on your contract. I agree with that. I have the right with all my contracts to plow once there is 1 inch on the ground. Sometimes to help their budgets I don't (with their agreement)

I am always 100% clear that I am ready and it is in the contract, However being willing to pass up a couple hundred makes the bill in February for the 3-4 pass plow on a 12 inch three day event a little easier to stomach.

In the fall and in the spring sometimes they want to let it melt. Ground is warm enough that ice is unlikely. Except on overpasses and bridge decks.

having said that LET IT SNOW!
  7. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

actually, i already checked with the groundskeeper(who is in charge of this) and he said that if it gets to 2"(even though it would likely melt the next day or two) due to the fact that there is service that night, so whether its likely going to stick or not, im bringing the plow just in case, otherwise id be riding with my mom and stepdad and if it were a plowable event, it would get complicated...im putting in plow stakes(lathes painted with 6" of flourescent orange for this year) either tonight(ideally) or tomorrow during the day.