1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally settled on a plow for sure this time...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hoot, Dec 1, 2003.

1. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

These plow people must hate me....

First I wanted a Fisher EZ-V
    Put money down on a Blizzard straight 800.
    Cancelled that and ordered a Fisher EZ-V.
    Cancelled that and now going with a Western 8.5 MVP.

In my research I swayed towards the Western MVP. It has a few features I like better than the Fisher EZ-V even though they are basically the same plow.

I like the Western Ultramount because it incorporates what they call a "pivot bar"... it swivels when hooking up and allows the plow to tilt to help it lay flush to the ground. It also helps align the mounting pins. This would also help if the ends hit something while transporting. The pins are permanant. They are engaged by hooks so there are no holes to align.

The Western MVP also comes with the snow deflector standard ($140 Fisher option). It has a positive stop setup for the wings that the EZ-V does not have. The reciever plates are easily removable.

I got a price shipped out of IL to NJ of $3733.
    That's $100 cheaper than the EZ-V (after tax) and comes with the snow deflector which normally costs about $140 more. I'm done changing. The Western goes out this week....

Question.... how is it that the Fisher and Westerns are so different with respect to the mounts.... but the blades, hydraulics, controller and light setups are the same?
  2. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

they are the same

my local dealer in Ct told me the that they are the samecompany...I mean look at the controler..same one...

??????/:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: ????
  3. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Re: they are the same

Yes they are but...

The V plows have major differences. The things I pointed out above do not apply to the Fisher.

I've been researching this site and others. Western seems to have some of their own designs that Fisher does not have and vice-versa. It seems that the Western owners seem to be the happiest.

The Fishers also look to be real good plows. I looked at a bunch of new ones in person and was really impressed how well made they "looked" and how heavily built they "seemed". Just from observation since I've never owned one.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Western and Fisher always seemed to have their design differences, for example Western plows up until the MVP were always full trip plows and Fisher plows always had the trip edge.

Just an observation.
  5. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Hoot, If it's for limited use why the V?
  6. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Because I always overkill and I look ahead at resale and ease of sale. Junk depreciates fast. Mean time I got a great plow to use.

Also.... if you look at my cost.... not a whole lot more than a good straight plow... so why not? On the other hand after this winter who knows... i might have more customers!
  7. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

Hmm, That explains the propane and the wheels! lol Happy with the propane? Big difference?
  8. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Looks like a great plow. Take pictures
  9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Hoot- I'd love to see some pictures of your rig, with our even without the plow! I'd also be curious to see your propane setup....:D
  10. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Propane by itself adds about 70 rear wheel hp

I now have a Juice 90. I think I'm in the 350+ RWHP range now. Probably around 400-410 at the flywheel.