1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally justified the cummins

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by crazymike, Feb 2, 2006.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Although I use my truck all year to tow horse trailers, equipment trailers and push snow. Today I finally proved my cummins.

I was driving home work when I noticed a dump truck with it's rear end in the ditch. He was trying to back into a driveway to turn around, but backed into the ditch instead. His front wheels were on the soft shoulder, but he couldn't get out.

I stopped to help him as he was shoveling dirt under teh rear wheels and getting nowhere. I chained up, put her in 4WD and pulled him out with ease. Didn't even notice the load (until he was out and stomped his brakes :p) This was a full size International dump truck.

I never would have thought I could tow him out, but I proved myself wrong.

Unfortunately I didn't have a camera :/
  2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Not to down the cummins, they are def nice but any american V8 will crank enough torque to spin the times in 4wd when pulling which is the weak point in the link.

In other words, you would have been able to do the same thing with a Ford 5.4L or Chevy 6.0L etc..
  3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

git-r-done i love my cummins and i know it would do anything

but ksland i dont really kow what youre trying to say and id really like to know
  4. greenscapes inc

greenscapes inc Member
    from utah

Huh????? Weak point in the link???
  5. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

sure they can, and while those v-8's are sitting on the sideline crying for a water break, the cummins will go right back into the game after running a 90 yd touchdown and do it again!
  6. dodge rammin

dodge rammin Member

I am not doubting that the V8 gasser won't do it, but the Cummins will still be running at 300,000 while the gasser has been scrap metal for years.
  7. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I dont know about all that.....my gasser 5.7 has 240k working miles on it....and still runs strong as ever.
  8. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

So with an international dump truck being chained to the back, you don't think that is going to put a lot of weight over the rear tires? No gasser would spin all 4 tires in this instance, there is way too much weight to have enough power to do that. With the cummins it has loads of low end torque, which most any gasser motor can't compare to (neither can any other diesel). Do I think a gas motor could do this, sure, but with ease, definitely not.
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Agreed. 1st, congrats on realizing the abilities of your truck. I did the same thing in a blizzard several years ago, towed a stuck town twin axle plow truck with a wooden 12 foot v blade UP a hill in 12 inches of unplowed snow. Really opened my eyes on what my truck could do. (he had been there almost a hour because the road crew couldn;t get through the snow to help him and he was loaded with sand for traction...)

I have seen many things a vehicle can do that I never would have believed unless I saw it first hand- seen a Jeep traverse a ditch and mound of dirt I couldn;t imagine, seen a stock k-5 blazer crawl down a road of 3 foot deep ditches and over 2 foot high boulders, and seen it tow a loaded semi truck and trailer down the road out of traffic after it broke down.

A properly geared gas engine has tons of torque, but it takes an experianced driver to use that torque because of it's power band by design. A diesel has more torque at more useable rpms (in general).

The tires to ground contact Is the weakest link, but that's why we have 4-lo.
    I'm not digging gassers, but there's a reason why they are not used in heavy hauling applications anymore. Ever heard of a gasolene locomotive? The few that were built were only yard engines meant to move 1 to 2 rail cars at a time, and never leave the yards. How many Kenworths and Peterbuilts do you see with a trick Big Block V8??
    Not looking to start a war or debate- there's nothing to argue about, really. Until they really improve the gas engine in design (and they have made great strides I will admit) the oil burner will be the way to go for real heavy work and hauling.
  10. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

The funny thing is, even while gas motors are making huge strides, Diesels are right there with them-pretty much putting a gasser to shame. Chrysler is looking to put diesels in most anything-Grand Cherokee, New Calibur (neon replacement), and even the 300C (going into production in Europe)...once we get the new low sulfur fuel, we may see a decline in gas motor production (over time of course).
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Glad to dear you like your truck sounds like she can really pull!!

The tire to ground contact is the weakest link ( I agree!) but 4lo will not help with traction, just torque.. you need to add more weight to improve traction.
    Not to start any thing.:D but the diesel engine in a locomotive does not turn the wheels. In spins a generator that produces electricity. It is electric motors that make it move:waving:
  12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I''m not downing the Hemi here, but I tried one. It's an awsome engine. If I needed a daily driver truck, I would be all over it. Peppy, decent mileage for a gasser and loads of power for driving.

That said, it was useless for the heavy duty towing like I need. Maybe the chevy gassers are better, maybe the fords, I don't know. But that wasn't the point of the thread. My point was, I justified the expensive diesel option with this particular truck. I proved that the dodge auto tranny can pull an oversize load with ease. That is all.
  13. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I love stories like this. I wish you had a camera. I'd have loved to see it in person. But anyways, NOTHING, let me say it again, NOTHING beats the Cummins. I'm a Ford guy, but I'm not blinded by brand loyalty.

Gotta give credit where credit is due. If I ever go the diesel route, it will be a Cummins. If only they'd put one in a Ford.:salute:
  14. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Yeah, I'm not brand loyal either. I buy whatever is best at the time.

I like the looks of the ford heavy duty trucks, although I havn't seen the newest ones really. And I would buy one in a heartbeat.

You can't really go wrong with any HD trucks these days.
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

True, Snofarmer, you need weight for traction, but I have several driveways that being able to get up or down with a load in the blade is the difference between 4hi and 4lo. 4hi wheels slip, 4lo they don't. Still completely figureing it out in my head- physics does disagree on the why.

Yeah, the vast majority of locomotives are diesel-electric (ever heard of a gasolene-electric loco?) but some were straight diesel to drivetrain and all yard engines are direct drive- no electric motors.
  16. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Yeah, why no diesel electric trucks???

You hit the nail on the head I wonder why they don't make a 4 cyl version of the Cummins and use one or two AC motors for traction and a generator in place of the tranny????

I always said diesel-electric would be great for an on-road 4x4 pickup. Has worked well for 75 years for locmotives and with the latest computerized AC traction controls it would be great for mileage and power IMHO...

And isn't it funny GM sold off it's Electro-Motive (locomotive) division just as it's alternating current locomotives were taking over the market...:confused:
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  17. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

18. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Hey SweetPete-Dream on, Dream on, Dream untill your dream comes true.... lol:waving:... oh and I am Loyal to my Brand.payup

Way to Go Crazymike on your tow..kinda makes ya proud don't it..i didn't even do it and it makes me more proud to be a Cummins Owner! Rock on man! :drinkup:
  19. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Yeah, a guy can dream right. But in all honesty, I do like the looks of the Rams. I just prefer the Fords because that's all I've owned the last few years. But, I could get used to the Ram, if the Cummins is really all it's cracked up to be. :confused:
  20. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree. I love my Dodge and all, but I think a Trail Blazer could have done the same thing. :rolleyes: