1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally installed the v plow

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Kwise, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

So today I finally had an 8.2 boss poly v plow installed on my 97 F250 HVY DTY. First problem I notice is the front springs, of course. I would say they are worn out, they have 170k, and when the truck is fully supporting the weight of the plow they are basically touching the stoppers. Can anyone steer me toward a good set of replacement springs, ones that will restore how the truck should be and also will support the added weight?
  2. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Here's a start. They have all the options. Also here on plowsite ESI truck equipment has been talking about Sumo's ( I think) a set up like Timbren's. Only less cash. Lots of people run the timbrens and like them.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  3. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

Are air helper springs the best thing if the old springs are worn and are sagging, even without added weight of the plow? My truck has the two leaf springs on each side.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Putting ballast in the bed will help the front end too.
  5. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

I'm looking into a build up plate for each side. It just a third add on spring that bolts under the existing springs. Has anyone ever used these? Might I have to rebend the original springs, or will the new spring whip everything into place?
  6. MaineF250

MaineF250 Senior Member
    from Maine

I did the front add a leaf kit for my old truck. It was a 95 F250 PSD 4x4 and after I did it I wished I had never done it. it made the truck ride worse than any class 8 truck I have ever driven. I also re-bushed the front end while I was at it. I would spend the money and get some new springs.
  7. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I did and add a leaf on my 95 F250 and was totally happy with it. I drove the pee out of that truck and it never bothered me. I also have the 3 spring pack on the front of my current 95 F250 and it holds the plow great.
  8. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

I had a similar problem when I installed my plow on my truck and my truck only had 10,000 miles on it at the time. The front bump stops almost touched the axle. I put the recommended ballast in the bed and they came back up to almost pre plow levels. Ballast helps out tremendously. It will improve everything from braking and handling to ride level. Try this first its cheap and effective. Ballast goes between rear axle and tailgate and dont overload your trucks GVW. The plow manufacturer lists the recommended amount of ballast in their plow matching software.