1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally got to use my 22! Now about those plow shoes....

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by MaineMike, Dec 8, 2006.

1. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Hi all -

Well, we finally got some snow here in central Maine. Not much, but enough to break in my 22 for the first time. (My plow....she's a no longer a virgin!)

I've posted two photos, and I'd like some advice regarding the plow shoes adjustment.

The plow worked beautifully, but it didn't scrape "clean". But maybe that's a good thing on a driveway? Have a look at my second photo - it shows the gap between the blade and the pavement due to the plow shoes.

Should I keep it right around there or raise the plow shoes a bit?

Photo #1:
    http://homepage.mac.com/michaelalden/filechute/plow1.jpg

Photo #2:
    http://homepage.mac.com/michaelalden/filechute/plow2.jpg

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds odd, but take the plow shoes off, nobody really uses them. They make great paper weights.

3. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Me too!!!

Congrats on getting to use the new plow!! We have something in common because I broke my 22 in this morning as well. It worked flawlessly!! I do not run with the shoes on and it scraped right down to the pavement. I am sure the down pressure helped but I only used that while back dragging. While moving forward it scraped to the pavement without the down pressure on. My suggestion is to take them off. I never used them on my other plows either.Photos of my truck are in the thread in the pic forum titled Solo operator's ride. Have a peek.

Good luck with the plow!!!:nod:

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

MaineMike,

In looking at your photos there are a couple of suggestions I will make.
    1. Remove the shoes as others have suggested
    2. Adjust the shoes by removing a couple of the washers off the bottom.

By adjusting the shoes you can still run with them which will help to extend the life of the cutting edge. The plow looks great on your truck. We at Sno-Way appreciate your business and wish you a blessed holiday season. :angel:

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Scrap the shoes unless you're doing gravel.

6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If you're going to use the shoes they should be adjusted so that the blade and the shoes run on the ground together. It may take a little bit for them both to sort of even out correctly, but they are eventually supposed to wear down together. Myself, I set them so they are above the blade and if I dig into anything too much the shoes will hopefully prevent more digging. You have to keep up with them though as the edge wears down.

7. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I'll take your advice and remove some washers. I would remove the shoes altogether except I do have to plow a 300ft private driveway (mostly dirt and some gravel) in addition to my regular driveway.

:drinkup:

8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I think you'll find in the long run that you like the results without shoes better. These plows are so light, you won't really have an issue running the edge right on gravel.

9. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

Early winter I run the shoes about 3/4" below the blade because the ground is still soft, about mid winter they come off since the gravel is like concrete and the blade will not dig in.

10. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Thanks guys - I'll keep all of this in mind. Now all I need is snow.

11. addicted

addicted Senior Member

Amen brotha!:angel: payup

12. yeah, I'd say remove the shoes, but if you clear a private driveway that's gravel, I'd keep them on. You don't want to dig into someone else's driveway.

13. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I know my shoes are adjusted so they are not close to teh ground. scrapes the asphalt great but now that the first snowfall has melted I can see I sure tore up my gravel driveway. gonna have to adjust them down a little when i do gravel next time!!