1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally got the new V box up and running!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Plow Meister, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Man, what a furious couple of days! I bought a used Western Vbox off of BNC Services last spring. It had been sitting for at least a couple of years but thankfully it was indoors. Believe it or not, with a little either it fired right up and the belt & spinner did their job flawlessly:redbounce I took it to my storage and waited until this winter to get it mounted and tuned up. Bad idea! I got it mounted on my truck, hooked up a battery, gave it a shot of either and Vroom! Off she goes. I sprayed the daylights out of the chain, belt and whantnot and headed out to get salt. I got both Vboxes loaded and went out to salt my lots. About 1/2 hour into salting I noticed the belt was running but the spinner was not. Turned out the bearings were shot! I rigged it up so I could at least finish my accounts and run the salt out of the box. After I ran about 1/2 the salt out of the box the engine died. WTF!!! Now I'm screwed! In the end I had to replace both verticle shaft bearings, spinner, top gear, and r&r the carb. Total cost of about $100.00 and 4 hours of my time. Upon further inspection I noticed there are other bearings that have to be replaced but that can wait until next summer. Even after the service I just did I still got a hell of a deal on the spreader. Gonna fire it up again tonight I hope payup

2. SHOWMESTATERIDE

SHOWMESTATERIDE Junior Member
    from MIDWEST

Looking to get one. How much can it hold/weight? What size is it?

3. Plow Meister

This one is an 8' Western. When I got it someone had already put 12" side extentions on it to make it hold more salt. I'd say it can hold about 1.5 to 2 tons of salt mounded. I would never put that much in it since I have it mounted on a 3/4 ton pick up.

4. SHOWMESTATERIDE

SHOWMESTATERIDE Junior Member
    from MIDWEST

I have a 3/4 as well. Just trying to figure out a good set up. Have some big accounts but only have this 3/4. Have 1 ton 12 dump but then I would have to drive that to. Trying to use one truck with a vbox. Maybe get the salt delievered and load it on site. Any suggestions?

5. Plow Meister

How would you load it on site? Do you have a skid steer or something?