1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally got pictures of the newly redone boss

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by metallihockey88, Oct 20, 2009.

1. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

alright, i know the people that have been following my install post have been impatiently waiting pictures of my "new" boss plow (as have i). its not completely done, still need to put on markers, deflector, rest of decals, drain and fill hydraulics but had to grab a quick pic of it. its a dirty and needs a good cleaning but ill get up some sweet finished pics as soon as i can. enjoy :drinkup:

galv 1.JPG

galv 2.JPG
  2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Not going to paint it? It looks good nice job.
  3. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

4. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

looks like its missing something...besides the decals you mentioned...like paint or a clearcoat or something to give it a shine...I dunno...what exactly have you done...I havent followed your overhaul project?..I just did an overhaul myself with my Fisher MM2..
  5. metallihockey88

Yes sir. was teasing everyone saying it was gonna be the first stainless :blush2: but the galvanized looks just like stainless from a few feet away and seems to hold up way better then any paint. looks sweet, really glad i did it. my plow guy is doin a lot of these and if anyone is intersted in this process let me know its not much more then a nice paint job and holds up way better.
  6. WilliamOak

I almost bout an 8'6" unimount last year that was galvenized. Nice look and alot cheaper than stainless probably. I was originally thinking that you had a poly plow and pulled the skin off of it and had a stainless moldboard made up which would have been really sick. After galvenizing the plow, can you still paint it?
    And why the XL version grill on your truck? A chrome billet (like the harley grill) one would have looked sick! At least get one thats a smooth finish not the textured one of the XL lol, jk.
  7. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Could it still be painted over?
  8. metallihockey88

i had the chrome grille but am doing a black accent thing on my truck instead of chrome. making it unique and think it looks sweet. got the black steps, harley lights, black toolbox and backrack and once i get my black flares and wheels think it will looks awesome. also the grille is the textured one on the work trucks but its not very noticable.
  9. metallihockey88

im not sure, i think it can but can find out if you want.
  10. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

was that dipped in galv or did you spray cold galv from a can?
    either way you still can paint over it
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's pretty cool. Assuming it's hot dip, that should last a long time. Better than a stainless skin on the moldboard with a painted steel frame.

I think you should paint it yellow.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  12. WilliamOak

If you're goin with the blacked out look, Paint the plow black!
  13. sledrider2005

sledrider2005 Member

you can paint galvanized metal but it will flake off you need to use a special prime that allows the paint to stick
  14. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

May I ask how much the "galvanizing" cost?
  15. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

hmm...galvanized..thats different, never heard of that with a plow blade, but Im sure it would work pretty good...always seeing new stuff on here nobodys thought of..thats what I like about this site!
  16. metallihockey88

the thought did pass my mind but the galv. looks sweet i think
  17. metallihockey88

well its a combo of sandblasting the blade, best bet to put new hardware with what you take off and the galvanizing. when i get the final bill all settled i can give ya an idea if you want.

as for everyone else, it is a hot dip galvanizing. it got blasted, drilled some holes in the box frame at the bottom and blew out an unbelievable amount of rust and debris from it which is completely essential to coat the inside of the box frame to keep it from rusting from the inside out. then at the galvanizer it gets an acid dip to clean it all up and the hot galv. dip to coat it. my plow guy has done a good amount of these and does a lot of his trailers he builds and all look immaculate with no rust or damage whatsoever with some being like 6-7 years old if not older i think so far.
  18. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

sorry Colin but I agree the XL black grille looks great! I like it sooo much better then XLT grilles! and the galvanized steel sure does look different (in a good way)
  19. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

So is the plow ready yet?
    Or you been playing all day again?
    I'm waiting to see it finished.
    :rolleyes: John....
  20. metallihockey88

nope, we are all ready to go. deflector on and got everything to line up pretty good. fluid changed, cleaned up all the hydraulic fittings, picked up a pallet jack and pallet to move it around with and called boss today just for yucks and they said theyre gonna send me as much of a set of plow stickers as they have at the office so we'll see what they send me. if it'll ever stop raining i can get this thing clean and pretty for a nice photoshoot