1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally got my wings on!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by vlc, Jan 17, 2013.

1. vlc

vlc Senior Member

I wish I got these things years ago!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll try to get some action shots next storm. Completely forgot yesterday.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Nice Truck
    Glad you are happy with them wings

3. ygim

ygim Member

What kind are they I was looking at some that looked like was thinking about buying. Do they feel solid?

4. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

They are Buyers Pro-Wings. They work great, well worth the price. They will bend if you hit curbs etc. though. I fix em' with a sledgehammer ha ha. When they get too bent to repair I buy another set. Big time savers.

5. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I just put the on as well on my Jeep, Used them once for a small 2 inch storm, they are awesome!

6. ygim

ygim Member

Were they easy to put on. Any drilling?

7. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Thanks! They're the buyers pro wings . I had to reinforce the backside of the rubber cutting edge a little, but otherwise they seem like they are pretty solid for the price I paid for them . I was stacking snow in a parking lot without any bending or anything .

8. ygim

ygim Member

Those are the ones i was looking at.

9. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Yeah . I had to drill 2 (I believe) 1 1/4 inch holes in the moldboard and I welded the side brackets on .

10. willshome

willshome Junior Member
    from mass

I was looking a them but I have a fisher 9' and the seller on Ebay says

Pro-wings are not recommended for Meyer® 2 Meter, Western® 8-1/2' or, any brand 9' or 10' plows, except the
    Meyer® 9' plow.
    anyone know why?

11. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

The pro wings are pretty decent, I put them on our Jeep Cherekee and they definately do help.
    The problem with them though, is the dont have enough angle to help scoop snow.
    They are only about 20 degrees..

The ones I built for our trucks and some others, use a 45 degree angle.
    Scoops more snow with less loss..

Bob

12. vlc

vlc Senior Member

A little more angle would definitely help more. This was my first experience with wings, so I got the cheapo buyers ones. That way, if I hated them, I would only be out 200 bucks.

13. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Looks good.Here is something that was suggested to me to help with the bolts wanting to pull through especially when back dragging and thought i would pass it on. Ialso changed from rubber to urethane edge onthe wings seems that once the rubber takes a set being bent back when plowing they don't do quite as good and the urethane is stiffer and more durable. Once i bolted the plates on i trimmed the excess from the top to keep dirt from collecting under it. They work great. Mike

wing.jpg

14. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Thanks for the tip! I'll do that today. I also notched the rubber where it touched the plows cutting edge so it closed up the gap. And I put a piece of flat stock where the inner bolt is, going down to about an inch off the ground so the rubber doesn't fold back. I'll take a pic later today. I'm horrible at explaining things.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  15. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

If you cut the rubber you cant flip them over. I added a few more bolts this season really seemed to help keep snow out of the top will snap some pictures soon.

16. vlc

vlc Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the reinforcement on the backside and the notch around the cutting edge.

Everything is going to get a coat of yellow paint in the spring so it all matches.

17. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i don't think that piece of flat bar will hold up in time especially if the rubber edge gets caught on something it would normally ride over. its going to bend back away from the edge and it may put some un needed stress on that part of the wing. These are just my thoughts but i am curious as to how well it works so keep us informed.

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^ Agreed. On my wings I just took a piece of flat stock I had laying around and put it across the front of the rubber. A friend of mine had issues with the rubber ripping off the bolts. We put a piece of flat steel across the the front and that seemed to do it so naturally, I copied. If I remember right the steel I used was 1 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick.

19. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Rather than trimming off the top inside corner, I put another bolt there with some big washers on it. I also put big washers on the other bolts.

I have not put any flat stock or anything behind the rubber. I love the way they clean the snow off the grass along driveways without ever cutting into the sod.

I've had the same set of Buyers wings on the Curtis for several years. I would buy them again in a minute.

20. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

from experience I know that the urethane edges don't work well with trip edge plows. Stay with the rubber in those cases. A cow mat actually works pretty well for the rubber edges. You get it in a 4X8 rubber mat and there's enough there to make many replacements ;)