1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally got dual optimas put in my F250

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by maelawncare, Dec 13, 2009.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Well i finally got around to it. Not too hard. Took longer to plan than it did to acutally do it. Trial and error to make it all fit.

But i got 2 yellow tops in my 99 F250 with the V10. Harder with the v10 than the v8 since theres less room.

So far so good. I dont see anything wrong that others havent brought up yet. What do you guys think?

Oh and its 1gauge wire running between the 2 batteries.

005resize.jpg

004resize.jpg

2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I need to do that to. nice job

3. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I hear of guys doing this, and your execution looks great, but i have to ask...WHY? In 15yrs of plowing i've never had an issue with a single battery not being upto the job, so i guess here and now i will get educated as to why dual batteries are the hot ticket vs just having a good battery and high amp alternator? My lights dim when i activate the controller to my V plow for a split second, then when i release the button goes back to normal. It runs my electric V box just fine too with no voltage fluctation...so i'm failing to understand the huge expense here?

I just upgraded the alternator on my 93f250 from the stock 80amp to a customer ordered 130amp, and that made a world of difference, and only cost me $132.00 vs $400 in batteries, $20 in cables/connectors, and how ever much time a guy would have fabbing up dual battery trays.....

ready to get jumped on....:D

4. maelawncare

HAHA, no need to worry. You wont get jumped on by me :p

I thought the same thing. But i seem to be going through a battery every year. I get them covered under warranty but i wanted to see if there was a better option. And since i added a few more lights to the truck i wanted to see what a dual setup would do. And since i needed a new battery i figured what the hay. I was able to get both batteries, wire, and all the connectors for just under $400. So not too bad.

I havent got to use it yet, but so far so good.

The higher alternator maybe what is saving you. But most people just want to have double of everything. Double the cranking power, double the reserve power and from what i hear, the plows run faster with dual batteries. I am going to try it out tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Why dont you get double alternators like i have on my 6.0. :drinkup:

6. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

clean set up. I guess if they both die you know its your alternator

7. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, thats a clean setup too.

8. 7879fordplower

7879fordplower Member

because no one has been able to tell me how to wire then!!:dizzy:

9. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

LOL, well, at least your honest, cant fault that:cool: Jeez, that seems like a bunch of battery's to blow through?? What kind were you running prior to the Optima's? With all my vehicles- race car, car trailer, open trailer with winch, work trucks, mamma's car i either installed the optima red tops from the get go, or when the batteries they had started to poop out i'd switch them over, but my F350 has some old looking farm and fleet battery in there right now and has served as my main platform for the bulk of plowing/salting/sanding for years...

I could see the benefit if running stock small amp alts since the extra battery capacity would be the band aid by having more "reserve" on hand to compensate for lack of ability in recharging, much like many of the guys i race with that prefer not to run an alternator, they also wire up dual batteries to compensate since they dont have the charging capability to make sure everything is running at peak performance. So i guess over the years i've often wondered about the whole time and money vested to add another battery vs just fixing the weak link in the equation...well 1 of 2 if the battery is on it's way out. Good battery, high amp alternator, dun;)

Looks really nice though, esspecially since with our V10's they dont leave us much room for mods such as this:help::dizzy:

10. maelawncare

Yea theres not much room in there. I had to notch the tray to get the second battery to sit a little lower so they would fit. They git nice and snug though. Both of them. Time will tell if they will work.

I have no idea what alternator i have. But i figured it would cost the same amount to replace the alternator as it would to do dual batteries and this i could do myself. It only took 2hrs.

I used the largest duralasts i could get. They work good when new. But by one year later their crap. I dont know what goes in them but they dont last well for me.

I just chuck all this up to R&D. If it works good, great. If not well then on to the next one.

11. dlstelma

dlstelma Member
    from GR, MI

just curious....what do manufacturers include (electronically) in the snow plow prep package ? is it a larger alternator or second battery or both?

12. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Well, the nice thing for the future is you have the hard and expensive part done, so IF your alt ever takes a dump, then would be the time to just upgrade it depending on what you have already. I've never taken the time to see what my '00F350 has stock yet, but when it starts acting up, it'll get at least a 130amp and hopefully higher if they make them aftermarket...i dont plan to weld with it like some after market units, but i'm just of the opinion with today's vehicles and all the electronics they incorporate a 120amp should be the bare minimum, espeically when you use the trucks like we on here do with the huge burst of current draw all our toys place upon the system.

Hey, you could install one kick azz stereo system now if you want and not worry about the lights dimming down on the bass hits LOL!!