1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally got a plow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 09Daxman, Nov 7, 2012.

1. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

Well I have been a member on here for a couple of years now just reading up and lurking around, but the time has finally come! Today I picked up and mounted a 8 ft Fisher HD on my 09 Chevy Dmax.

I dont plow for a living or anything like that, im a mechanic at a shop and this year my boss loss our usual guy who plows our lot so he got some estimates from people and everyone was giving him 200+ per push up to 6 inches. So he figured on a 8 inch snow fall he would be paying someone else 400 bucks. So he decided to just buy a plow and put it on our 97 chevy 3500 tow truck, and everyone in the shop said thats a bad idea that is not set up for plowing and to get it set up for plowing we wouldnt be able to make it into alot of the garage ramps in downtown, plus we are very space limited as is and we would not have room to leave a plow in the shop when not being used. So I told him if he buys the plow, I will put it on my truck, I will plow the lot, and I will store it at my house in the garage, IF I can take care of some other peoples driveways with it(most importantly Grandmas driveway) and he said he was fine with that. So he bought the plow, I bought a backrack, and I ordered an Able 2 low profile mini LED bar and a back up buddy. Here are some pics so far of the truck with the plow and back rack. Very happy with how the truck handles the plow at full lift it drops an inch if that. The truck has a rough country level lift in it, I also ordered some gussets from B&B on here, and has Air lift 5000 bags in the rear at 10psi. I will be getting some snow tires for the truck soon, either some Master craps or the Blizzaks. But for mods on the truck I have a 4inch MBRP turbo back exhaust, AFE stage 2 dry air filter, pcv rerout, and efilive with a dsp5 by duramaxtuner dot com. Soon I would like to do a egr delete, a converter, and a trans tune if my other project doesnt take all of my money (87 RX7 with a LS1 V8 in it).

Anyway here are some pics for now. I will get more once I get some lights on and hopefully some with the plow in action!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my car project

[​IMG]

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Looks sharp. Keep it clean like that.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Dang the turbo II rx7 is one of my all time fav cars, I used to have one back in 2001 wish i never sold it.I was actually looking a few weeks ago for another one lol

Cant tell from here but is that a v8 swapped in there?

4. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

Banksy thanks, I am going to make sure it stays that clean! She's my baby. Haha

Goldpro ya they are a pretty nice car, but I hate the rotary so it had to go!! Haha and yes the ls1 is in the car in that pic. I can post more pics and details about the car tomorrow for you.

5. Polarismalibu

Polarismalibu PlowSite Fanatic

Nice set up! Just gotta get your boss to pay for fuel to do the lot and your good to go!

6. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

Ramps down town? like down town Minneapolis or Saint Paul? to tow or to plow?

7. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

nice looking plow truck

8. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

black and yellow, black and yellow very nice combo

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Not really sure of the logic on this one....
    What's wrong with putting a plow on a tow truck?
    How does a plow hitch affect getting into garage ramps?
    Of course it isn't set up for pushing a plow... it won't be until the plow is actually installed.
    Why store it in the shop? Leave it in the yard like normal people do.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you screwed yourself on this one. You are now OBLIGATED, and its at your own expense as far as maintenance goes. If it were me and I was interested in a similar arrangement, I'd sign him up on a contract, then go out and buy the plow myself. This way you'd still get the money [plow] out of him, but have the option to get out of the deal next year if you don't want to keep doing it.

10. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

He is going to be paying me some money each time that I plow for my fuel so im covered there!

My work is located in downtown St Paul, alot of the ramps are 6'5" or something like that. Very low, we have to take the light bar off of our tow truck to get into those ramps and then we have about an inch of wiggle room.

Im going to have to listen to that song while im plowing now haha

There really isnt anything wrong with putting a plow on a tow truck that isnt ours, we have a push bumper on the front of our tow truck so we would either have to put a new bumper on it or cut slots in it for the mounts and the bumper is made out of some thick metal, and then we would have to crank the crap out of the tbars so its not dragging on the ground but then we wouldnt be able to fit in some of the lower height garages as I stated before. Then for storing it at a home is that means someone is going to have to drive the tow truck home and it always at the shop. Not saying it cant be driven home but thats just the way it has been that it just stays at the shop.

Im not taking it the wrong way, but if I didnt want to do this I wouldnt have offered the deal. I told him about this idea and he did say that the maintenance we are splitting during the winter months, 70% 30% at our cost, same goes for suspension work. But to each is their own, I just think I got a good thing going on here.

11. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

Here are some pics of my RX7

What it looked like when I bought it

[​IMG]

I tore everything out of the car, sanded it down the engine bay, filled in the holes on the fire wall that I didnt want.

[​IMG]

Painted it flat black

[​IMG]

Then started to put the motor in

[​IMG]

12. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

[​IMG]

Custom made exhaust by my boss and I, 3 inch collectors coming off of the headers to 2.5 with an X pipe out to pypes mufflers.

[​IMG]

Now how she sits today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New shell/my winter project. Swaping everything from my gray car to this car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I built the car for road racing so I have JIC coilovers at all 4 corners, and I have some hawk blue race pads for my stock 4 piston calipers and stock rear calipers. For now the braking feels really good but we will see how they do once I get some real rubber under the car next spring. For some shits and giggles I took the car to the drag strip, I had some MT ET street radials and I couldnt get traction for **** and I ran a 11.6@124 with a 1.9 60 ft. I was spinning into 3rd

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  14. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I have to say you got the short end of the stick on your plowing deal. Wear and tear on your truck is not worth you being able to plow a few drives. You should be paid atleast half what it was going to cost him to hire it out.

15. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Glad there is more to the deal in your favor!

About the tow truck... you really shouldn't have to crank the front end to lift it for a plow. Also, you could probably adapt a lift frame to the push bumper. Take advantage of that bumper rather than try to work around it.

16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice looking truck and plow. Good luck with it this Winter.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

MasterCraft MSRs are fabulous for plowing. I like the tall and skinny 235 85

18. 09Daxman

09Daxman Senior Member

I like mine short with a big ol booty!!!! Hahahahahaha sorry I had too.

But ya I was looking at getting some mastercrafts, it was either that or some blizzaks. But it seems like the mastercraft are better priced.