1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally got a Blizzard 8611lp!!!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by m_falafel, Jan 2, 2011.

1. m_falafel

m_falafel Member

Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't wait to try it!

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Nice! Get some Winter Carbides to weld onto the wing edges for longer life. If not, they'll wear FAST.

3. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

nice setup, is that your 5610?

4. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

great looking setup you have there!

best of luck with it this winter :salute:

5. m_falafel

m_falafel Member

What's that?!?

6. m_falafel

m_falafel Member

Yep! with a 72'' bobcat snowblower in front and a 6'-10' extendable Cotech pull plow in the back.

So far I can't think of a better combination of equipment. I usually run the f-350 while my employee use the bobcat. The only problem I see with the toolcat is that it's ****** slow when climbing up a hill. And the worst think is that the city I live in is built on a small mountain.

7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Very nice! What configuration is your 350? Make sure you have good tires and ballast for the monster, and post some pictures up once you get it out in the nasty.

8. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

best of luck to you this season, I think we need more pics of the truck and toolcat.

9. m_falafel

m_falafel Member

Yeah these are the too things I need to address... I have stock (******) tires and absolutely no ballast in the back... What do you all use for ballast?!? Btw I removed my tailgait to see better while backing up. Any suggestion?

10. m_falafel

m_falafel Member

Next time I wash them I'll post some.

11. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

SWEEEET!!!!!!!!!! I've always wanted a 8611LP! I used to have a Ram 2500 diesel and they said they wouldn't sell an 8611LP to be used on anything smaller than a 450 or 4500 series truck??? They said an 810 would be the biggest they would sell me... OK????? My truck let me overload it if I want......

Good luck with it! Big fleet around here runs a lot of 810's on F350's, always love to stop and watch them for a minute. Another company we are shop neighbors with have a few Power Plows but they say the wings are very weak and if you hit anything with them then they are stuck where they are, can't be folded or pulled back in. They have had a lot of trouble with them and supposedly Boss is paying $2500 for each Blizzard that gets traded in, like the company is buying their competitor's plows, broken, totaled or working... Just a rumor.

I still like the Blizzards, well I like the concept. Other companies are adopting the folding wing concept (like Wide-Out Westerns) but it appears the wings on a Blizzard are a good bit larger. I still want one. If I ever get one I'll fix the weak links and hope for the best.......Get some videos up of that beast in action!

12. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Oh your truck bed should have some "slots" stamped into the inside bedsides you can drop a 2x6 board into and you can lay concrete blocks inside the boards so they will be secure. A lot of guys do that. Still have plenty of room can put shovels and blowers around or on top of the blocks. Won't need your tailgate to hold the blocks in. Use a much wider 2x board should stick up above the blocks a little bit for a small ledge to hold your equipment in somewhat (still recommend straps)

13. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Totally agree. Get the Curbrunner. Yes they are more expensive but you will get 5-7 times the life out of your entire plow edge. I just ordered the CurbRunners for one of my LP's I have the Xtendor on the other LP and the CurbRunners are way more beefier. Worth every penny IMO

BTW you will never plow with anything else once you learn to use the wings.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  14. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Put the gate back on, cut a board to fit in the bed notches, get some concrete or whatever from Home Depot and wet them down. Anything that is heavy you can use. Get a good winter tire, not an all-terrain or all season, a winter tire.

15. m_falafel

m_falafel Member

How much should weight should I put as ballast? Any idea? The other plow I had before wasn't heavy at all so I never bothered with ballast.

16. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

i would say minimum of 1000lbs, if you want to leave the gate off take some 2x10 and build a box that locks into your bed slots from the factory.

17. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

Can't see any backside pictures of the plow.
    How close is it to the Western Wide out ?
    Nice looking unit.

18. m_falafel

m_falafel Member

It's almost identical to the wideout exept it's 11ft when extended to the max and 31'' high instead of 29. Mayby there are other differences but I'm not aware.

19. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Yeah I have the extendors on my EXV and they are great. It is worth the investment.Thumbs Up

20. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Extendors are a must on almost any plow if you ask me. I used to get barely one season out of my edges on my 810s. Im on my 3rd season so far with the carbides on the wings.