1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally going ouit on my own!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

No more sub. work for me! Just got back from our yearly plow meeting and what a joke. I started 2 years ago with this company at $25/hr, second year I was told to get wings on my plow and I will get a 2 dollar raise on top of my seasonal raise. Well I had to get a new mold board (old one was a poly plow so I couldn't put wings on that). So I get the new mold board and wings and only get a 2 dollar per hr raise and no yearly raise. He said we'll talk in a month or so (a month into last season). Well this year he goes strictly hourly so I'm thinking maybe I will get at least $30.00 Hell no! he put me at $27.00 waht a f*%#'in joke! I have several years of expeience no accidents went out all but 4 times in 2 years I think I should be paid a hell of a lot more. So it is my goal next year to aquire 1 or 2 more trucks and start taking from the Rich.:salute:

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Congratulations, Brian. I definately agree; You've got a couple years experience and should do well on your own. All you really need to do is advertise enough to get a few customers and start doing you're own billing which doesn't need to be difficult at all and doesn't really take all that much time. If there was enough work aroung there to keep you busy as a sub, then there'll be enough to keep you busy on your own.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Congrats on coming out.

What did you do with the old mold board? We have had no problem putting Pro Wings on Poly blades.

4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I hate to tell ya this, but I was paying my subs $ 85.00 hr. their truck there insurance, $ 75.00 hr. their truck my insurance. Sounds like the guy was taking advantage of you a bit :angry:

5. Brian Young

I kept it in our garage. I would think they would crack at some point.

6. snoking

snoking Senior Member

7.5 foot plow, and a truck thats 1/2 ton and 15+ years old. Thats all id ever pay either. Not to be an a$$. Your chance for break down is more likely by theroy. 3/4, and 1 tons are heavier trucks, with bigger plows. Push more snow faster and farther. If you had a backblade id pay 30/hour. Its awsome that you only missed 4 trips in two years, thats a plus....go back to him....tell him you bought a new 1 ton and but at least a 9' blade on it( you like meyer, so you could put an HMP-10 on) and see if you offers you more.

Erik Green
    Owner Greenscapes of West Michigan

7. Brian Young

Thanks for the reply but I have to disagree with you. My truck is in better shape than a lot of trucks that are 3-5yrs old. Mechanical break downs have not been an issue. Its got a v8 that runs like new, many many new parts, new sheet metal, and a tranny thats only 3 years old and flushed out every year.It looks like a brand new truck with a few dings and scratches from the lawn care end of business. My heavy half ton moves just as much snow as anyone in our group with a 3/4 or 1 ton.

8. snoking

snoking Senior Member

Hey thats cool,...just wasnt trying to bash you....just giving you what I look at

9. Brian Young

Not a problem and thanks for the insight.:)

10. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

The only hole I put in the mold board is the large center hole for the pin. I bolt the outer mounts to the outer vertical rib. Keeps a smooth plow face...