1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

finally getting somewhere

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Seabee15, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

Well after taking a 6 year sabbatical from plowing, (due to the military) I finally got orders back home where it snows (Rochester NY)

I just bought a truck: 86' Chevy Military M1008 CUCV 5/4Ton w/6.2 Diesel and a nice heater. I put a set of re-treaded (treadwright) 265/75 BFG AT's on
    $4000

And

Just bought a 7'6 Westin (haven't seen the plow yet physically but looks and sounds like a good deal)
    $600

and

Bought a Wolo Infinity 1 Amber Light bar for $230

Pretty "ok" setup for a returning rookie as y'all would say.

What I'm looking to do is ease myself back in the game. Doing family, Friends and Neighbors at first, then throughout the season advertise here and there on craigslist and such.

what do you guys think? I'll post picture of the plow as soon as i can post them up here..

2. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

"retired" military vehicles seem to always have lots of life on them still. anxiously awaiting pics of that bad boy.

3. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

Here is all the equipment....let me know what you think of the plow....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

5. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

thats all for tonight, i'll try to post more tomorrow... I'm real interested in what everyone thinks....

6. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

i'm looking at buying an '85 military blazer right now. good looking truck, plow will look kinda small on it. get a boss v :)

7. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

well yeah, but I'm just getting into it for right now, so 7'6 is probly fine....do you think i could just switch out the blade for something bigger??

I also plan to sand and paint the frame and the plow to make it look nice....OD Green and black of course.

8. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

any blade that works is good to start with. see how it works, change it later if you don't like it. is that 6.2 diesel pretty reliable? it's in the blazer i'm looking at.

9. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

the 6.2 is a "good" motor... its not a derby winner by any means....the military utilized it due to it is reliability and fuel efficiency. Once you put a turbo from a 6.5l, turn up the fuel, your pretty good running. Alot of guys switch out the 6.2 for a 454 big block.

10. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

reliable and fuel efficient sound nice to me right now. i should look into how labor intensive that turbo install is. thanks. were you planning on keeping it or upgrading it?

11. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

rookie

It's a meyer not a western, as you can probably see from the label on the blade. Not sure about your Fab. skills, but you may want to add another trip spring if it only has 2. Also you can make a western Cable setup or uni-mount type lift pump work on that bracket. Personally I prefer underhood hydraulics. Oil stays warm etc. etc.

12. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

Yes it is Meyer, sorry for the mix up....

But what do everyone think?

Plus, this is a part time, just for a hobby type of job. I'll looking to get a few customers here and there, mostly one time deals... for 10x30' driveway, what would be a good price, i'm thinking $25 w/ 2"trigger

13. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for serving our country, welcome home.

14. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

swtiih: Thank you

I just found out that its a Curtis Plow Mount, does anyone have any info on these?