1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally getting a plow truck

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Banksy, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I have been on this site for a while now and looked for a plow or plow and truck near NC on here with no success. Finally, in two weeks my friend is driving down from Mass his '88 Ram 150 4x4 short bed for me to buy. It has a 318, 4 speed manual and 8' old school Meyer. It is not a pretty truck, but for $800.00 it's a good deal. It is going to be a good project (hopefully) and I will try to post photos of progress. I am going to swap the bed for a flat bed. I will give away the bed to anyone who wants to come get it. If not, I am going to scrap it.

After this project I want a plow for my '04 Ram 4x4 2500 diesel. They would make a nice pair I think. No, we don't get that much snow here, but when we do, plowing is in high demand and not many people do it. My wife and I would like to get back home to New England at some point. New Hampshire is the goal and already haveing two plow trucks would get me ahead of the game, because I like the business. I wish I had kept a couple of my F250's I used to pow with in Mass, oh well. Ok, this is long enough.

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

It doesnt snow there.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, it doesn't snow up here either!!:( :D

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It doesn't seem to snow anywhere anymore:rolleyes: . This is just gonna be a truck to mess around with, might even use it as an investment if I ever get tired of it and want a new project. Going to pay $800.00, but after some work and making it look nice and have it running well. I'm thinking maybe I can get $2500.00 - $3000.00 for it. Heck I could part it out for more than $800.00. I said I was paying a $1000, but the extra 200 is for his gas money and trouble to deliver it. I have seen two beat up plow trucks for sale down here and they sold for way more than they were worth and went fast. I was thinking about trying to pick up mostly church accounts. When it snows, nobody is going to go and the parking lots are usuallypretty simple and open.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  5. DeereFarmer

I got my '87 about three months ago, it rain for tow days and then quit on me. Needs a new fuel sending unit, power steering pump, cat back exhaust and that is about it. The guy I bought it from had two pages of new parts with reciepts. All the body panels were replaced three years ago for example. It has a 4" lift on it, so I bought it for a beater and off road mudding truck. When it runs, it does good, but the 5.2 is a lug of an engine. I paid $1200 for it. This inlcuded the truck, a bed full of spare parts, 8 wheels, 10 matching tires, and a really good stereo system with 4x6' Tweeters in the dorrs and the dash and 3 10" JL Audio subs behind the seat. The stereo alone is worth probably $500 and the wheels and tires come out ot be another $600, so there is the price of the truck right there. Good luck. Post some pics when you get it!

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That kind of how I figure it. The plow alone has to be worth $500-600. I will certainly post pics, but you might want to have a few beers before looking, it might make it look better :D . It needs paint and has some dings and needs some interior work, but hey what do you want for cheap money. From what I understand the 4 speed manual in it is a very good transmission.

7. DeereFarmer

Hahaha... The uglier the better for these older trucks. I love nothing more than pulling into a store parking lot, mud up to the windows, the "free flow" exhasut and Lynyrd on the stereo. That to me is fun. Some of the looks I get are great. My girlfriends don't usually appreciate that much though. I have heard that the 4 speed manual is good. I have a rebuilt auto which seems to be OK for the 100 miles that I have driven it! Here are some pics of mine when I first got it. Still looks the same seeing that I have only put 100 miles on it!!! It had 178,850 and still runs strong. Origional motor and trany!

1.JPG

8. DeereFarmer

Pic #2 from the front. Notice the bin underneath to catch the leaking gas! Wahoooo:

2.JPG

9. DeereFarmer

The interior is actually pretty good except half of the seat id duct taped, but here is a shot from along side with the door open.

10. DeereFarmer

Ok, forgot the pic on that last one...

3.JPG

11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's a nice looking truck. The one I am getting is the exact same thing, but not nearly as nice looking. My buddy did a bunch of work to it mechanically, so it should really just need all fluids changed, tune up and some other little odds and ends. Then it will undergo surgery for a flat bed built by me. I am actually considering doing side work making truck accesories payup .

12. DeereFarmer

Wish you were close to me. I have been thinking about putting a custom flatbed on this, but the bed is in such great shape that I would have a hard time doing away with it. It has a brand new bedliner and bed sides. There is not any rust on the bed at all.

13. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I may just use this truck as an investment if I get tired of it after a while. What I mean is fix it up, get a cheapy paint job and resell it after driving it for a while or whatever. I'm for sure going to do a flat bed and have been thinking about maybe making it a dump. The tranny has a PTO spot, but no PTO on it now. Elec/Hydro would probably just be easier. The truck will be here on Sunday, as long as it makes the 700 mile trip down here :dizzy: . This truck is carbed, he's going to give me a stock 4 barrel carb and intake if I want to swap out the 2 barrell that's on it now. I'm going to do a full electric tune up and fluid change to start it off. We will take the bed off too while he's here.

14. DeereFarmer

Cool, can't wait to see it. There are not too many trucks this old running. Right now, I have all the fuel lines, the tank, the sending unit, the exhaust (and headers), the skid plate, and the rear driveshaft off right now. I am getting a new tank soon, then start putting everything back together. I have also thought about making this an investment. I want to fix it up, run it in the mud for a while, and then try to sell it to make a small profit for my time. The only problem is the fact that it has a 178k miles. It is hard to convince people that it is ok because of all the new parts.

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Seeing as how I am only paying $800.00 for it, I'm sure I can make atleast a small profit. He's been driving it and says that it's been running great. We've been friends for 16 years, so he's trustworthy. The one thing I will need to get fixed is the second gear. He said it grinds a little unless you get it just right. Maybe a new synchro or something. I have never dug into a manual, or even an auto. I want to make this truck mean looking along with my '04 Ram. I'm am starting to think of a big mean bumper for up front. It will go in front of the stock one. I want to put "move over" written backwards on it. Ha Ha.

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

[​IMG]

Here it is. This morning we took the bed off and removed the interior and replace the sheet metal on the drivers foot area. We then Herculined the floor, it looks awesome.

17. DeereFarmer

Hahaha... that looks so familiar. Hopefully i am going to have mine up and running today, but of course something will go wrong. You'll like that truck. The floor has been replaces on mine and a Rhinoed it. Looks much better and you can't see through the floor. That seems to be a very common problem. Yours has the lower door rust just like mine.

18. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I found 2 doors, hood and a bumper at a junk yard this morning. We are going back tomorrow morning and getting all four pieces for $300.00. No rust on any of them, since the donor is a southern truck. Mine is from Mass. The Herculiner came out awesome. The interior is all back in now too. I need to get an entirely new E-brake system, that should be fun. There is an exhaust leak somewhere too. It really needs plugs, wires and cap. Should be fun!!

19. DeereFarmer

Sounds like fun. The E Brake system is not too bad, but it more just a PITA.

20. DeereFarmer

I finally got mine running yesterday and today. What a PITA!!!