1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally gave my 8'6" Pro a little attention...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by weareweird69, Oct 6, 2011.

1. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

Well last year the plow was getting considerably worse for play in the quadrant/a-frame area.

So I took it apart last weekend to find this.

[​IMG]

Needless to say, I was less than happy. so I reworked it back into shape, welded it up, and got it back to where it looked nearly like it was supposed to look

In the picture, you can see the bottom is also bent down, so I had to fix that too.

The bottom of the quadrant was also eggshaped, so I had to fix that as well. :realmad:

After all the welding and torching, I got to looking at all the bolts, and decided to replace the Pivot, the Angle Cylinder Bolts, and the moldboard-to-quadrant bolts. They were bent as well.

After all of that, I got new Bolts for the springs, and gave the springs a coat of paint, along with the back of the moldboard.

[​IMG]

Yeah its a cheap paint job, but I am going to reskin the moldboard at some point in the future, so Im not real concerned.

Also purchased a genuine Western Cutting edge, the old one was cracked, and was not nearly as thick as the western. Not to mention it was totally worn out.

[​IMG]

But, I still need to paint the rest of the moldboard, and change the fluid. Then I will be ready for the snow!

2. HKusp

HKusp Member

Nice work I believe that is the edge I need. I have a 8 1/2 foot Unimount pro plow ( I believe and the edge is worn. I don't have the entire sticker on the back of the plow anymore. How would I tell if that part number you have there is the correct one for mine? I know they may have different mounting hole locations even though it's the same size as another model, or so I have heard anyway.

3. weareweird69

Just tell them what you have. I don't think they made a NON-Pro in 8.5 feet

4. HKusp

HKusp Member

Is there a good place on line to get them? My local Western dealer is not a good company to deal with as the small business guy. They are barely tolerant of us and treat us poorly. The pricing is full retail (sometimes higher) and they are arrogant when dealing with them. Their business is largely commercial fleet trucks, so they really seem to be bothered by the little guys like me therefore I try and use them as sparingly as possible.

5. weareweird69

Not sure but I wouldn't pay shipping on that. Its not light.

Id find another dealer. I had to as well. Most places sell stuff at retail because they are required to.

6. HKusp

HKusp Member

You make a good point. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

7. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

I did the same to my 8'6" in October of 2011, repainted it, new fluids. A - Frame was junk but figured it out!