1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally "done"

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by meborder, Nov 29, 2011.

1. meborder

meborder Senior Member

Earlier this year i bought my neighbor's plow rig. It is was an older cable operated Western plow attached to an 88 1/2 ton suburban. I could have left well enough alone, but I really didnt like the 'burb very much, so i decided the put the plow on my 83 K20 that i used for pratically nothing.

The truck was (is) kind of a heap but it runs good and will always start no matter how cold or how long it has sat, so i figgured it was worth the work and money to get it working.

When I started nothing on the pickup worked, except that it would start and drive. With a month's worth of work and a laundry list of parts I now have a truck with working windshield wipers, heat and headlights. Also, for the first time in known history i am able to check the oil. At some point in the past the motor was changed and as a result the oil dipstick was pinched over underneath the exhaust manifold. With as little as i had been using it (and the $350 i spent buying the truck) It wasnt much of a concern. I would just change the oil every couple years to make sure there was 5 quarts of oil in it.:blush2:

So i spent the money and effort and put on a set of flowtech headers and flowtech true dual exhaust kit to match. And of course the requisite chrome Mr. Gasket oil dipstick

So after all of that, my one working fuel tank decided to spring a leak, along with a front brake line:cry:, so both of those are new now as well Thumbs Up

Anyway, certinly nothing to brag about, but it has come a long way in the last 2 months and it is finally a fully functional plow vehicle that i can use around the farm. Bound to be warmer than the loader, anyhow.

So, if you see my name attached to a post with a question about something that isn't working right, this is what I'm working on

If there is anything you guys can see that i can do for cheap to make life a little easier, i'd be glad for any suggestions. I got about 1200 lbs of balast for the back that i haven't put in yet, but it is on the list.

thanks for reading!

Mike
    [​IMG]

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a ton of work. Not a bit of which id have a clue how to do. Hopefully she works for you when the snow starts to fly.

3. meborder

meborder Senior Member

So far it is earning it's keep pushing 1100lbs round bales into the dry lot. Much easier to drive than the old Massey Harris :) So i feel that there is hope for it, anyway.

Looking back at it, it is probably a good thing that i decided to switch vehicles. Had I not taken it off the suburban, i wouldn't have noticed all the cracked welds. I'm afraid if i had decided to just use it, i would have gotten a lesson in fixing a broken plow this winter. (of course i wouldnt have spent a week fabbing up a new mount on the driver's side to clear the sway bar -- one of the few differences between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton, apparently)

I started to think that i had gotten took on the deal, not knowing anything about plows, all i knew is that my neighbor used it for 2 years and it worked out fine for him. I'm thinking that it is just the nature of the beast, if you are pushing snow, you are going to fix something at some point.

I look forward to learning lots, and hopefully you kind folks will be around when I'm in over my head :)

thanks for the kind words!

Mike

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

build yourself a headach rack and mount some utlity lights on it