1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Finally did it!!!!!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by dieseltroop, Nov 4, 2006.

1. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Well I finally bought a blizzard plow after about 3 years of researching. I decided to go with the Blizzard 860SW. I went to get it installed about a week ago, and so far I am pleased with it. I say so far since I have only been able to raise, lower, and go side to side with it to make sure it works since we haven't received any snow up here yet. Truck carries it well. I have Timbrens on the truck, but they barely get pushed down. The Timbrens were time consuming though to install. This is the first plow I've installed on my truck. Not used to the power hitch and deal. Do you stop the power hitch when the holes for the carriage bolts are lined up. That's what I've done. I've only mounted/dismounted once. Need to adjust the kickstand a little bit. Truck wants to hang on to it when backing away it seems. Anyways. Will keep update once the snowfall starts. Will try to post some pic.'s of the plow with the truck.

2. BDB

BDB Senior Member

So it's been almost 5 hours....where are the pictures? Now if it would get cold enough for us to plow something! See if we can get Buck hill to shoot some snow in the parking lot so we can give 'em a test run.:rolleyes:

3. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Yea, that would be nice. Would at least be able to try out the plow at this point. I'm going to try and get some picks taken w/in the next couple of days hopefully. But nevertheless I will get some posted.

4. BDB

BDB Senior Member

Looks like tonight you could go south a bit and find some snow. It always seems to just miss us. Did ya have it installed at Stonebrooke? They are nice guys! I'll have to look at the Blizzard to see about the bolts. But good luck with the new "toy"...it will bring many days and nights of fun!

5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Can I ask why the Timbrens where a pain to install? I am looking at installing and this concerns me.

Thanks,
    Chris

6. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

For me the timbrens were a pain in terms of time consuming. The problem that I didn't know; till I got them, was that the rubber that mounts up into the cup where the old bump stops go into, are a bit on the larger side. So luckily I had a bench grinder to bring them in some. There was a post I saw on timbrens and someone who had a '96 ram, said that he had to grind them down about 1/4 of an inch total to get them to fit. Turns out, that's what I had to do as well. The first one (pass. side) I would grind little by little to make sure that I didn't take too much off. Anyways. When it came time to seat them in the cup's, I felt like I was trying to play, how many times I could lift the truck up and down to get them to seat in straight. Maybe lifting one side at a time isn't the proper way to do it, but it's how I did it and it just took a lot of patience and time I guess. The one reason I could see when I was only lifting one side and trying to seat the timbrens in, was that the truck was coming back down at an angle some, since it wasn't being lifted up totally straight. Even though I tried to counter-act that by angling the timbren's on each side to make it go in straight, it still took time to get them in straight. Eventually what I did, when I had the truck weight fully on them, was to take a short piece of 2x4; that was cut in half, and pound upward on the underside of the metal plate that the timbren rubber sits on. That actually helped doing that. They are in there now, and the plow; once I got it on, helped push them into the cup's even more. Guess you could call the whole thing a learning process. Maybe some others have a better way of doing it. Hope that helps. Even though they were a pain to get in, I am glad I have them installed. The truck rides great with them on there. Barely squats at all. In fact the suspension is stiff enough already, that I probably could have gotten by without them. But if there is something that aids in taking some stress off the main suspension, then I guess I am for it. I took a look at the timebrens when the plow was up, and they are barely squished down. Some have complained of the ride, and others say there is no difference. I would be part of the group that says I don't feel a difference in ride quality for the most part. The only times I know they are there, but also factor in the stiffer 3/4 ton suspension, is when I will pull in and out of my driveway, and am going over the city curb at the end of the drive. The other one may be when the road is a bit bumpy, but you know what. It's a truck. One more thing to note. Timbren says that there may be little or no clearance at all on the front end with the Timbren's installed. Off the top of my head, I think I have about 2 or 3/16th's of an inch between the axle and timrens with just the undercarriage mounted on there. I'll have to double check that to be sure, but it's around that. Like mentioned earlier. If the road is relatively smooth, I don't notice them. Do a search also of timbren's and you'll find ton's more on the topic. Some love them, some hate them. I love them.

7. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Here are some pictures of my new plow that finally got used on the new year's eve.

IMG_5629.JPG

8. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Ok, so the test forum worked for me, but not the thread that I started here. Still trying to post some pic.'s here.

9. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Alright. Finally got this whole downsizing the photo deal, since my camera shoots a lot of megapixels. Hopefully some if not all will make it in w/out a hitch. Enjoy!

IMG_5643.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  10. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Another one

IMG_5629.jpg

11. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

Nice setup dieseltroop. I just put the blizzard 860 speedwings on my 2001 F-250 diesel, I live in eastern PA and we have not gotten any snow yet, so my plow has not been used. I wanted to know how the plow worked for you, are you glad that you bought the blizzard and what kind of accounts are you plowing with it. Thanks!!!!!!!
    :nod:

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Sorry to hear about your struggle with the timbrens. I guess you did not do a search on them as there a couple of posts that give the "trick" to installing them easily.

Keep an eye on the ones you ground down as they may just fall out.

TIP for next time:waving:
    Jack up the front with a hydraulic jack so the front axle can hang free.
    put the timbresn in place, next put 2 by 4's in place to keep them from falling out.
    Now lower the truck quickly, releasing the hydraulic jack so the front comes down fast.
    This will seat the timbrens in place with no prying or grinding.
    Then jack the front back up and remove the 2 by 4's

You guys have more snow than we do, you can still see the grass here:dizzy: but it looks like we might get an inch or 2 on Sunday.

13. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Snow farmer,

I did the 2x4 deal, but only lifted on one side for each one. Was probably the downfall, and why it was such an issue getting them in. I don't think they will fall out though. When I got the plow installed, I looked under there when I got back home, and they were seated farther up in the cup's then when I installed them. They haven't moved since. Still check them periodically though just to be sure.

Getting more snow would be a nice thing again. We've got plenty of bare ground around the metro now.

14. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

01FordPlower,

The plow worked great!!!!. The speedwing for me is especially nice b/c of the fact that my truck has the 6-speed in it. The 810 would be nice and all, but all the extra controls, and weight I don't need. The plow scraped very nice. I did notice though while backdragging from drives, that the left wing blade is just a touch lower than the right one. So when it came time to backdrag from the drives, I needed to go from the right side of the drive, to the left so I didin't leave any trails. I called Blizzard about the two sides, and the rep. said that holes where the bolts go in are set. You can't move the blade up and down. Figured the blades will eventually wear together in the next couple of snow events; if we have more snow of course. I also really liked the fact that the leading wing; when in the angled position, allows the use of the whole blade. I have used the boss "V" plows, and in some situations I was only able to use 1/2 the blade; depending on the type of snow and depth. I liked the "V" plow. They have there place, but for my truck and the fact that I have a manual, the speedwing works very well.

At this point; since I have only plowed once now this year, I have plowed out a townhome complex. The private drives in this complex are nice and long. The driveways are a decent length, but after a while it got real tedious going up and down the driveways w/ the truck. The combination of the length of my truck and being a manual made it annoying at times. I'll just say that I am glad I don't have a longer truck. Mine, I feel is right at max. for doing townhomes. And the townhomes that I did, were generous in terms of size for the drives and the private roads for width. It went a bit slower for me as well, since I went in 4-low doing the drives, so I don't burn my clutch out. I don't ride the clutch, but 4-low makes it nice when there is less travel for the clutch. It pretty much egages right away. I think for the next storm; when it comes, I might have a skid there, to backdrag the drives. I've had that in the past, or have operated a skid when doing other sites, and it makes it a heck of a lot faster I think for doing bigger places. The place I did had about 130-140 drives. Hopefully this helps for ya.

There are opinions in there from my first experience plowing w/ my truck for the first time. I've plowed before that for the last 3 or 4 years, but just my 2 cents on some things. I do think for the size veh. I have, it would be better suited for parking lots. But all-in-all it did just fine in the townhome area. One last thing I will add, is that I can appreciate the other guys out there that have mentioned that the left knee will be a bit sore after plowing w/ a manual. Definately would agree w/ that one.

15. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

Thanks for all the input, I can't wait to get out there and plow that first snow storm. I was going to plow house driveways, but I now I am going to be doing huge accounts, like Home Depots, Sam's club, Levitz furniture and shopping centers. I think that the wings on the plow will be very beneficial for accounts of this size.

16. dieseltroop

dieseltroop Member

Not a problem. Enjoy the plow. It's a lot of fun!!!