1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

finally but have a question?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lazerslicer, Jan 29, 2007.

1. lazerslicer

lazerslicer Member

Finally got to use my boss v-plow for the first time last friday but while in traansport my truck overheated quite a bit ( 2004 chevy 2500 6.0l). was wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem like this before.. What i did to solve the problem was lower the blade a few inches exposing the grill some more but is there maybe a problem????
  2. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I had the same deal on my '94 Chev. I ended up getting a little cooler thermostat...I never have trouble anymore.
  3. CAG80

CAG80 Member
    from ct

na you don't have a prob, some trucks r just like that.. i have one truck that will do the same thing if the blade is not angled and its a great running truck.. with this truck i did put a different thermostat in it cuz i worry about workers not being able to control or check temps..
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The plow deflects the air from your radiator thats why you over heat when transporting.
    Angle the blade or lower it slightly. That will allow air to get around the blade.
  5. greenjack

greenjack Junior Member
    from MI

I had the same problem up untill last week. I have a 03 2500hd 6.0 and I asked people on here and they told me to replace the 'fan clutch' so I did. It was very easy to replace and cost me $65.00 w/ lifetime warranty and the problem was fixed. Never has overheated on me since and I tested it on the highway with the blade blocking the entire grille.
  6. greenjack

greenjack Junior Member
    from MI

Another way to avoid the overheating is pop the hood latch so that there is a gap that allows the air to flow into the engine and releases the hot air out. It worked for me untill I replaced my fan clutch.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Don't go down the road with the hood popped with the safety latch holding it. I would not even trust the latch. If dropping the plow down a bit and angling does not help. Run the heat on vent high blower to keep it from overheating. There are past posts on Chevy Fan Clutches being defective. I don't remember the year range that had the problems.

Do a search with the search function on the gray bar above. It's been discussed before on GM's a bunch of times.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Common problem on the HD's. Here's the TSB no. Document ID# 1539418
    2004 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

Engine Overheating (Replace Fan Blade Clutch Assembly) #04-06-02-006 - (Jul 27, 2004)
    Engine Overheating (Replace Fan Blade Clutch Assembly)
    2002-2004 Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 2500 Series

2002-2004 GMC Sierra 4WD 2500 Series

with 6.0L Gas Engine (VIN U -- RPO LQ4)

and Snowplow Provision (RPO VYU)

Some customers may comment that the engine is overheating. This condition mainly occurs on 4WD 2500 series models that are equipped with a snowplow.

A lower fan clutch disengage speed, resulting in insufficient airflow passing through the radiator to trigger fan clutch engagement, may cause this condition. The snowplow may also contribute to interrupted grille airflow, which results in the fan clutch not sensing the warm air coming off the radiator and consequently not engaging the clutch.

Replace the fan blade clutch assembly with a new fan clutch that has a higher disengage speed. Refer to Fan Clutch Replacement (SI Document ID #642620) and the applicable part number below.

Parts Information
    Part Number

Clutch Asm, Fan Blade
    4WD 2500 and LQ4/GT5/VYU

Clutch Asm, Fan Blade
    4WD 2500 and LQ4/GT4/VYU

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Clutch Assembly, Fan - Replace

Document ID# 1539418
    2004 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD
    bulletin on it....
  9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Are you actually overheating or are you runing hot? Mine runs hotter with the plow on it than even going up a steep hill with 3000# of gravel in the back, but it never actually overheats, just runs hot.

I make sure to let it idle for a good 5 minutes or so with the heater running full blast hot to help bring the temperature down gradually...I know a few people who have blown head gaskets by shutting their cars or trucks down when running hot.

The fan clutch is probably the best permanent solution...one I plan on doing myself when it gets a bit warmer out.
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's just a good practice to let the truck run and cool down and recharge when your plowing. It helps to cool off the transmission and the engine after all that work.That's why I pop the hood and work on the sidewalks for a while. I have an extra ignition key and just let it run when fueling and getting people fuel too.
  11. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

GMC told me this week that they have a recall on the fan clutch on some trucks, don't know the year but you might want to check it out. Mine did not have the recall (06 3500 dually w dump-body)
  12. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

so what B&B said... i check with the dealer and see if they will replace it? Or does it still have to be under warranty? How does that all work?
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The truck would need to still be under warrantte for the TSB to be effective...